Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Hello all!

I've been getting myself acclimated to the world of instant messaging and video/audio conferencing over the past several months, and I thought it might be fun to contact everyone at CartoTalk to see if anyone is using IM...as well as to see if you'd ever like to "chat" and/or compare notes for how we are using the technology for work. I just got an awesome web cam as a gift from my father, in preparation for my wife and my second child being born in a few weeks, and I am anxious to find some excusing to try and use the video features of IM a bit more. :lol:

If anyone would ever like to chat in IM, I'd love to hear from you! I use a free universal chat program called Qnext http://www.qnext.com/, which lets me chat with people across 3-4 different IM programs. My contact info is as follows:

Yahoo - tonnhausdesign71
AOL - tonnhausdesign71
MSN Messenger - datonn@tonnhaus.com
ICQ - 226601310
Skype - tonnhausdesign

Thanks!

Derek
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've been using Google Talk and Trillian (another universal messaging client) for a while now. It does work quite well for business-related conversations, especially if the other person is in a different country.

In case anybody wants to contact me:
Google Talk: hans905@gmail.com
MSN: mapman905@hotmail.com
Yahoo: redgeographics@yahoo.com
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I don't use it now - it's not allowed to be installed on government computers. But, when I was working at my last job (for a custom carto company), I did use it. It was useful for talking to some potential clients that were in 'far away lands'. I remember specifically conversing with someone in Italy, and another person in Israel.

Very useful, being on the US West Coast. I never closed any deals because of it. But, this was four years ago, before 'IM'ing' had really started to catch on.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->