3 replies to this topic

Zdenek

Zdenek

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Czech Republic

Hello everybody!

Down at the bottom comes the link for an interactive map we put together for the NACIS student competition.

The idea for this map came from a discussion on how to create a map which would be interesting even for non-map-geeks and which would hold a topic that will be relevant even after certain period of time. We realized that the topic needs to address variety of users directly, not just hoping that they might probably be interested in this or that fixed topic. The main thing that is common for large variety of people is, in fact, the actual variety. So there came the idea of implementing Facebook and create a map that is personalized.

The map has two parts. The first visualizes the usage of Facebook in different countries and provides overall Facebook statistics. It's possible to view this part without the need of having a Facebook account. The second part, after you log-in into your account, displays your Facebook friends locations (as set in their profiles) and few related statistics (not to take much seriously, though).

Let us know what do you think. What kind of statistics would you include? Are there any other ways of making maps appealing to general public? And what else would you use to deliver personalized map experience? And should you want to deliver personalized map experience, actually?

Visit the map here:

www.geographics.cz/socialMap/

Cheers,

Zdenek

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

That is neat. I tried it with my facebook account and your locator has some quirks. looks like it placed alot of my friends in the wrong state when using their "current location". Right city name wrong state in most cases.

Zdenek

Zdenek

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Czech Republic

That is neat. I tried it with my facebook account and your locator has some quirks. looks like it placed alot of my friends in the wrong state when using their "current location". Right city name wrong state in most cases.

Thank you jrat!

We don't have that many facebook friends in the US, so we've completely missed this.

As it turned out, the application was wrongly passing the name of state into the Yahoo geocoding service, so the service used just city and country info to determine friend position. It worked quite alright within Europe, broke down overseas, obviously.

Leigh Holcombe

Leigh Holcombe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

When hovering over a region with the cursor, the main statistics are shown in a graphical box, which is always above and to the right of the cursor location. In the initial view, this makes it difficult to see the statistics for areas far to the north - Finland, Iceland, and Greenland, for example - because the boxes are drawn outside the border of the map. This problem can easily be solved by the user, either by zooming or re-centering the map. However, it should be possible to solve this on the client end as well, by calculating the screen coordinates of the box, and comparing them with the screen coordinates of the current view. When there's a conflict, draw the box below the position of the cursor.

Of course it's debatable whether this is worth the extra coding...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->