3 replies to this topic

YZT_CNG

YZT_CNG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • China
HI, I found the map is well done. who can tell me how he may finish it? Many thanks.

http://www.internati.../Port_3D_a.html

http://www.acsm.net/...eaf9 1110063946

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • United States

I suspect that was done with some manual interaction, possibly a hand colored image was created either on paper and scanned or in an image-editing software like PhotoShop.

But you can achieve some very good effects digitally.

I would suggest taking a look at some of Tom Patterson's work at his Relief Shading site.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

YZT_CNG

YZT_CNG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • China
thanks, DaveB. I've been studying Tom Patterson's cartographic materials for days. He is so generous to share his experience with us. His maps are indeed very good. But it'll be better if his relief shading maps have further 3d effect, such as exaggerating a bit in height. In bryce, it seems that he can shade the maps with 3d effect, but lacking naturual or beautiful color, such as the map below I listed. If covered with satallite image, the maps look too saturated with so much color. It's not convenient for us to draw lines on the maps.

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Bruce Daniel made the Santa Rosa map in 2003 - you can probably email him through International Mapping Associates and ask how he did it - Alex Tait may have been involved as well. I suspect it wasn't hand colored, they are a digital design shop. They often use a mix of Illustrator/Photoshop/Bryce/Natural Scene Designer, so it may have been draped and spun to an oblique angle in Bryce, given the 2003 date. The color pallette may have been done in MacDEM, which unfortunatly isn't supported past Mac OS9.

As for Tom Patterson's Natural Earth data, you should be able to exagerate the vertical relief in most GIS software, as well as Bryce or Natural Scene Designer.

I'm not sure what you mean about lacking natural color, Tom designed the Natural Earth dataset to mimick true bioregions, whereas the brown color scheme that Bruce used for Santa Rosa implies an arid, desert region - which isn't exactly representative of that landscape.

What software are you using?

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->