19 replies to this topic

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

That sentence (however you word it, but more so when you include the parts about traditional activities) does intrigue me. How did their presence stop all travelers (and police?) heading north? How did their traditional activities stop all travelers (and police?) heading north? I'm not trying to pick on you; like I said it raises intriguing questions. :)

Yes, I think there is more you can do on the contents outside of the map/s. Think about hierarchy of information.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Just one slight nit-pick. You've labelled the UK as 'GBR'. Great Britain comprises England, Scotland and Wales but does not include Northern Ireland. I like the map, by the way.

Regards, Nick.

Maybe this will help clear up any confusion. I know it has helped me :)

The Difference between UK, GB, and England

KimWright

KimWright

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Australia

The map looks really good. One small problem with electronic versions of maps is that showing scales by RF is incorrect in that depending on what size the reader is using the map generates different scales. A simple line scale may suit better or (don't shoot me!) no scale at all.
Kim Wright
MAPgraphics, Brisbane, Australia
www.mapgraphics.com.au

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

One small problem with electronic versions of maps is that showing scales by RF is incorrect in that depending on what size the reader is using the map generates different scales. A simple line scale may suit better or (don't shoot me!) no scale at all.

I was providing the RF to give the viewer an idea of proportion (compare the insets to the globe scale). I guess I am being an arrogant mapmaker by assuming the reader can't make this comparison visually? (like adding a 'Legend' title to a legend). I don't like pointing out the obvious, seems to be redundant information.

That means I've broken away from using the RF as a map scale and more like a car model scale, good call. I'll have to correct this because in the context of a map, as you've pointed out, it is no longer practical.

I was going to avoid the scale bar, because it wouldn't fit well with the globe projection, too much distortion, so I was going to try and create a scalebar that wraps the globe, making it look 3d; something visual.

I'm going to agree that it may be best to drop the scales all together because the map is more of a history lesson and a visual aid, rather than for technical map users.

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • United Kingdom

Maybe this will help clear up any confusion. I know it has helped me :)

The Difference between UK, GB, and England

As a Brit, then working in California, I had similar problems about UK/GB/England/Ireland/Scotland and made an explanatory map, which introduces a few finer points like the status of the Isle of Man.

Posted Image

It was straight out of ArcGIS, with Maplex labelling and no editing of text label positions.
--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->