2 replies to this topic

Hasan

Hasan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Syrian Arab Republic

Hi,

I downloaded the Evaluation copy of MAPublisher and Geo Imager and I've been working them for a while now.

I was trying to do somethings with them before I buy it, and I came to a few requirements that I don't think I can do them with Avenza's products, and I was hoping if you can help me to make sure about that.

These are the points :

1- Showing Longtitudes and Latitudes as a grid in Map units or Kilometric units at the same time (As I can see, only Index like Grid Generator availble).

2- Showing objects and symbols as needed according to the scale size(objects are always showing with the same size with different scaling!).

3- Working on the same project (Map or whatever) from a few users at the same time (Networked project - is it possible?).

4- Saving certain screens with certain objects on each one, and ability of coming back to them later for printing or editing (like a few windows for the same file - you see some stuff like that in 3D Studio Max- like top view, left view ...etc).

There might be some more points later, but I'm still making sure of them before I ask you guys here.

Thanks in advance :)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

1- Showing Longtitudes and Latitudes as a grid in Map units or Kilometric units at the same time (As I can see, only Index like Grid Generator availble).

In MAPublisher, you can create a grid in either map or page units using the Grid Generator.

2- Showing objects and symbols as needed according to the scale size(objects are always showing with the same size with different scaling!).

Symbols have a certain page size, which does not change as your scale changes. This is the way the software is designed and also what the Illustrator concept is about. If you want the symbols to be bigger or smaller, change them in the legend or stylesheet.

3- Working on the same project (Map or whatever) from a few users at the same time (Networked project - is it possible?).

This would be more an Illustrator/Photoshop thing really, you may want to check with Adobe about this.

4- Saving certain screens with certain objects on each one, and ability of coming back to them later for printing or editing (like a few windows for the same file - you see some stuff like that in 3D Studio Max- like top view, left view ...etc).

This is an Illustrator function actually, check in the View menu, way at the bottom there's the "New View" and "Edit View" options (just noticed this for the first time today... you never know when you learn something new...)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Using Version Cue in CS will give you this option but my guess is that there will be serious limitations with MAPublisher here since Version Cue may not recognize the data portion of the file. Note that your MAPublisher license will be valid for one machine only and is keyed to a given machine (not portable) unless you use the License server approach. Even then for two computers to simultaneously use MAPublisher will require a second floating license and the floating licenses run about two and a half times the cost of a single computer license.

4- Saving certain screens with certain objects on each one, and ability of coming back to them later for printing or editing

There was the ability to shortcut to these views in AI 8 and earlier but they had to remove it as they added more features that required those shortcuts.
Rick Dey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->