mhampson4

mhampson4

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi

I am using ARCgis to merge a large area with the same geological formations over seperate shapefiles

I am trying to combine features from different shapefiles, or combine the whole shapefiles and later extract/ manipulate the features I need.

I have tried the merge tool which does not like the shapefiles I have, so firstly does anyone know why that may be?

I have also tried converting the lot to a TIN (using 3d analyst and mass points tin) then converting back to a large raster, however it only converts the first shapefile and doesnt keep the seperate different features in the shapefile.

is there another method or a solution to the two above?

Thankyou

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I have tried the merge tool which does not like the shapefiles I have, so firstly does anyone know why that may be?

You might want to check your coordinate systems, and make sure all your shapefiles are in the same one.

Cheers,
David

mhampson4

mhampson4

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi

Thanks I checked the co-ordinate systems, they were the same, the problem seemed to be that I had copied the .SHP files out of the origional folder I had unrared the data to. For some reason it didn't like this. Copying them back solved the problem, I used the merge tool to combine the files, and the dissolve tool to remove the joining lines.

Thankyou

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

merging in sense, are you trying to merge just the table info or even the graphics, remember the data set dependency in arcmap, its not like mapinfo or autocad, which allows you to copy, merge any sort of geometric data sets like lines, polylines, polygons, points etc tec..

Just make sure if you are not messing around with the basic fundamentals on them..

Thanks
GISGURU

Hi

Thanks I checked the co-ordinate systems, they were the same, the problem seemed to be that I had copied the .SHP files out of the origional folder I had unrared the data to. For some reason it didn't like this. Copying them back solved the problem, I used the merge tool to combine the files, and the dissolve tool to remove the joining lines.

Thankyou

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->