2 replies to this topic

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

With some year end funds I should be upgrading, finally, to the full CS2 design suite, probably just in time for CS3 to be released a month later. ;)

Are there any file related problems people have experienced as they've made this transition? (i'm using AI10/PS6) Or can I expect smooth sailing?

And anyone have the inside word on how long before CS2 is replaced? I know the time between PS7 and CS was pitifully short for paying for an upgrade.

tia,

rob

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

You are going to encounter the dreaded "legacy font issue" whereby Adobe updated their font engine and is you open an AI10 file you will not be able to edit any fonts unless you update them. AICS does this automatically, however sometimes to the detriment of kerning/font placement.

I have not had any problems with documents that start in AICS2.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Rob,
As a suggestion, download the tryout version first. Depending on the library you have of legacy files to work with compared to new work, you might find the legacy type issue a deal breaker. Also consider how often you give clients an AI file and what version your clients are using. From my experience (at least on the Mac) 10 and CS2 can co-exist on the same machine.
Rick Dey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->