Photo

combining XY and Z data from different layers?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

mhampson4

mhampson4

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi

I am Using ARCgis to produce a 3D feature map of specific geological formations.

I have a series of DEM topographic tiles, now mosaiced (Z) overlain by a series of geology maps (X,Y) which I want to turn into a shapefile with X,Y values from the Geology maps and Z Values from the topography tiles. However I do not know how to project from one layer to another.

I have been digitising using the Interpolate polygon feature in 3d Analyst however this is very time consuming and since I can highlight the required areas on the geology maps I assume thier is a better/ faster solution??

Is it possible to copy the polygons into a shapefile and interpolate the Z values from the DEM tiles to give X,Y,Z values in the attributes table?

I apologise I am relatively new to ARCgis and my knowledge is limited

Thankyou
M.Hampson

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors, bouldering, martinis, unusual graphical representation
  • United States

If you have the 3D Analyst extension, there is a function on the toolbar Convert --> Features to 3D.

mhampson4

mhampson4

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • United Kingdom

If you have the 3D Analyst extension, there is a function on the toolbar Convert --> Features to 3D.

How do I make that take the heights from a seperate layer not from the attributes within the geology layers?
I dont think I can copy the attributes from the DEM files to the geology shapefiles as the file systems save the co-ordinates in different ways (Therefore none transferrable).

Thankyou

mhampson4

mhampson4

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi

Ignore this, I worked it out. It would allow me to use the DEM files simply mosaiced and the geology files were not recognised due to them being in a grouped layer.

I merged and dissolved the geology files, then pulled out the features I required in an editing session (copy and pasting) to make the final convert feature to 3D of my whole area.

Thankyou for your help

Edited by mhampson4, 07 January 2011 - 01:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->