• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

travis22

travis22

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Hey Everybody! I am currently a GIS & Environmental/Land Use Planning Student in Maryland.

My main interests are Conservation GIS and Renewable Energy. I joined cartotalk because after being introduced to adobe illustrator and map publisher I have a new appreciation of cartography (There is so MUCH to learn!). All the forum topics are very exciting and I can't wait to contribute.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Cartography is a very good career if you can get into the GIS fields. MAPublisher combined with Illustrator makes for a powerful package of software on the publishing end of the spectrum. I think you chose the right end of the field "Conservation GIS and Renewable Energy" because the demand for this field in that sector is going to be on the rise. My concern is timing, in obtaining a green job in GIS is it still too early as in is there a high demand for it?

The answer is yes there is a future for it, & maybe because it seems that mankind is still in the industry to pollute & going green seems to be a slow growth industry at this time. Not to bash MAPublisher because I personally see a great benefit to this technology but it seems to me that the engineering part of GIS has a lot of ignorance towards MAPublisher & Adobe as GIS tools.

If I were you keep other options open, get another degree such as a Bachelor of Education just in case it doesn't work out. But alas with your concentration you may not have to worry about that like the individual washing dishes with a GIS education living in Pennsylvania.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

travis22

travis22

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Thank you for replying Hasdrubal. When I first started taking GIS classes my professors were adamant about how it could be utilized in any industry. It was important to find a niche in GIS. The environment has always been important to me and this led to an interest in conservation. I began an internship with a local land trust to familiarize myself with the different ways to conserve land. Natural resource conservation relies heavily on GIS and cartography. I would enjoy being able to make a living while helping to conserve the world's resources.

Renewable energy is tied into natural resource conservation because of our current reliance on fossil fuels not being sustainable. Renewable energy will succeed as long as we develop our infrastructure like the smart grid. I agree that adobe illustrator and MAPubliser are not important in maintaining the grid but they can be utilized though in other ways like educating the public and trying to turn people's attention to this issue. If you study a temporal world map of new wind farm developments for the last ten years it will reveal that China will have the largest installed capacity very soon. China has recognized that renewable energy is the future and they now out pace every country in the development of wind farms.

This is only one type of renewable energy and I think it is important that the public have a better appreciation of renewable energy projects. I have been making renewable energy maps for my classes and have decided to keep making them outside of class and will post them on cartotalk for suggestions in how I can improve them.

Thanks again for replying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->