7 replies to this topic

Josef

Josef

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sweden

Hello there!

I've finished this map about a year ago as my first map ever. It's all about Söder in Stockholm and it's public buildings (like schools, churches and so on), but also the public way to travel there. There are subway, rails, busses and by bike.

Everything is made in Illustrator and it would be very nice to hear what you think about it.

Here it is: http://dl.dropbox.co...63555/Soder.pdf

//Josef

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

There are several things I really like about the map! The font for the title is refreshing, the scale bar that wraps around and becomes a byline is a nice innovation, and the frame isn't even that bad given that the color is well coordinated with the map colors. The map itself has some nice colors. I'm wondering if the water could have better differentiation with the land portion. The gray areas versus the cream areas aren't speaking to me as to what they are - but I don't know the location either. This was your first map ever? Very impressive and a hundred times better than my first 50 maps. :)

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I agree with most of what Gretchen says, but I have to disagree with her about the font for your title. Friends don't let friends use Papyrus. There are certain cases where this font works ok, but I don't find that a font inspired by ancient Egyptian letterforms on centuries-old paper associates itself very well with modern Stockholm.

I assume we are only moments away from a killpapyrus.com a la comic sans.

Currently we have some other sites devoted to the (mis)use of this font like I<heart>Papyrus and papyruswatch.com and then there is the letter from Papyrus to James Cameron.

That said - I have been guilty of using Papyrus in past but I am trying to reform. :rolleyes:

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors, bouldering, martinis, unusual graphical representation
  • United States

I agree with Matthew that Papyrus deserves no place on your well-made map. The clean design of your map screams for a more refined font. Helvetica and Futura are both proven fonts. I know they may seem boring and over-used, but there's a perfectly good reason for that--they're elegant. If you want something newer, try Neutraface, which has already inspired an ode to it circulating on Youtube.

But back to the map. I think it's a great first map. To be nitpicky, though, I feel that at this scale all of the streets should be labeled. I also agree with Gretchen that you need some shading on the water bodies. I also noticed that Södra Station and Slussen are each labeled twice. I'm not sure what that is to mean, but it seems that could be cleaned up a bit. Do you only label the major rail stops? And if so, why are there multiple labels for those two? Also, your symbols for the rail stops do not match the symbols in the legend. It's nitpicky, I know, but consistency is key.

Great work on the map! I really think it's a great first map.

Heath

Josef

Josef

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sweden

Hi there, and thanks for all your critics.

I can agree with you about the Papyrus-font. Also then it comes to that the water should have some more color or shading, I was thinking quite much about the color and decided to leave it as it is now. Maybe it was a bad decision.

Then, about the rails, and subways. Slussen and Södra station are named twice, yes. The thinking of this is as it says in the legend, the name is for the subway and rail entrance. So at this two places there are two (or more) entrances, maybe Södra Station could share one label but I felt that the south Slussen entrace are quite far away from the other and needed to be special named.

And about, if only the major stops for rails are labeled? Now, all rail stops are there, still there aren't so many.

I'm glad you like my map, that means a lot.

// Josef

Josef

Josef

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sweden

Hi there, and thanks for all your critics.

I can agree with you about the Papyrus-font. Also then it comes to that the water should have some more color or shading, I was thinking quite much about the color and decided to leave it as it is now. Maybe it was a bad decision.

Then, about the rails, and subways. Slussen and Södra station are named twice, yes. The thinking of this is as it says in the legend, the name is for the subway and rail entrance. So at this two places there are two (or more) entrances, maybe Södra Station could share one label but I felt that the south Slussen entrace are quite far away from the other and needed to be special named.

And about, if only the major stops for rails are labeled? Now, all rail stops are there, still there aren't so many.

I'm glad you like my map, that means a lot.

// Josef

Henry Underwood

Henry Underwood

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I really like the map and I agree with the comments about the font. I would also like to see it without the north arrow, totally gone. It seems too pronounced in your version and it isn't really needed anyway.

Stefano Senin

Stefano Senin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello there!

I've finished this map about a year ago as my first map ever. It's all about Söder in Stockholm and it's public buildings (like schools, churches and so on), but also the public way to travel there. There are subway, rails, busses and by bike.

Everything is made in Illustrator and it would be very nice to hear what you think about it.

Here it is: http://dl.dropbox.co...63555/Soder.pdf

//Josef

SO-FO RULES, great work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->