• 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I talked about this at NACIS this year, and finally have an on-line version to show.

The City's portal, including links to a Zoomify viewer and PDF sections of the map is here.

Our company's portal is here. Same content, basically. We put ours up mostly to provide an online place for feedback and corrections. And because we're kind of proud of it.

Anyway, enjoy, and I welcome any comments.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Neil Allen

Neil Allen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • United States

Nat,

With your instructional section on essentially "how to safely ride a bike," are you concerned about liability issues if someone were to be hit while following "your" rules of the road? Or does the city somehow shelter you from liability by the rules being "theirs" instead?

Great looking stuff as always.

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Spain

Very nice, Nat. I like the clean, polished look of your maps.

Out of curiosity, did you give any thought to representing hills in some fashion? On the other hand, Minneapolis only has a few sizable ones, so it's not that necessary. I remember an old Twin Cities bike map that showed where the hills are and what kind of slope they had, and that was really useful for some of the hilly outer suburbs -- especially for wimps like me who try to avoid the hills!
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Out of curiosity, did you give any thought to representing hills in some fashion? On the other hand, Minneapolis only has a few sizable ones, so it's not that necessary. I remember an old Twin Cities bike map that showed where the hills are and what kind of slope they had, and that was really useful for some of the hilly outer suburbs -- especially for wimps like me who try to avoid the hills!

I'd love to find a way to do this. I've seen folks use chevron symbols or tints, but we already have so much going on in the line symbology itself, I'm not sure. I thought of doing a simple land-slope tint, but this doesn't distinguish between roads that take the long way up a hill and roads that go straight up. SO short answer is, I'd like to put a slope indicator on, but I'm not sure how to do it with all the route symbols going on.

]With your instructional section on essentially "how to safely ride a bike," are you concerned about liability issues if someone were to be hit while following "your" rules of the road? Or does the city somehow shelter you from liability by the rules being "theirs" instead?

The safety section content did come from the city, and we do offer a disclaimer which was approved by the city. Other that, it's mostly a series of advices to improve safety rather than a guarantee of safety (I don't think we claim anywhere that if you follow these advices that you will always be safe). It's a good question, but yes I think we're covered legally. Dennis is a good person to ask, as the originator of the safety section (and Chicago Cartographics did the graphics for us). Besides, he's actually a lawyer.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->