Photo

"Clipping mask" problems (Illustrator CS5)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Jacob5

Jacob5

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hey,

I'm relatively new to Illustrator so you'll have to bear with me (apologies if my explanation isn't great). I have recently turned to Illustrator in order to improve map quality and design, specifically, exporting and reworking ArcMap (9.3) documents.

On a current project, I have had trouble releasing/removing a 'clipping mask,' which was applied experimentally in order to mask out features that extended beyond designated artboard boundaries. I have subsequently been unable to remove the clipping mask without deleting other layers.

I have tried releasing the clipping mask wholly and from each individual layer, however, neither approach has proved successful. I have also tried deleting the clipping mask for each individual layer (after ungrouping features and releasing the mask), this again has proved unsuccessful.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I have set up a little javascript that cleans up imports form ArcGIS - removing all clipping masks.

To do it manually - on the "select" menu, select all clipping masks, and press the delete key.

From your description, it also sounds like you are not working with the layers panel - this is a very fundamental piece in my workflow. Select the clipping mask that you want to remove there (don't worry about releasing/ungrouping) and drag it to the trash can icon, or just press the 'del' key on the keyboard... (after you have selected it)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Jacob5

Jacob5

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Hugo,

Many thanks for the reply. Just to clear up, I was working with the layers panel, which indecently was the problem . On creating a clipping mask I accidentally incorporated other layers besides the single layer of interest, subsequently on deleting data within these layers was also lost. Problem now solved.

On an aside, I would interested to know if there is a means of masking/cropping data that falls outside the 'artboard' without the loss of feature labels. My scenario being I have a large amount of numbered contours, created using the 'type on path' tool. When using the clipping tool to frame this layer these labels are lost.

An obvious solution would be to create labels manually under a 'new layer,' however this would be a time consuming process. Are you aware of faster method?

Many thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I don't get your problem - if objects are outside your artboard - why do you need to crop/mask them? Nothing is lost when you use clipping masks. It is not hard nor time consuming to move labels to a separate layer (select all text objects - drag - drop).

Please clarify what you are after!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Stimper

Stimper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I don't get your problem - if objects are outside your artboard - why do you need to crop/mask them? Nothing is lost when you use clipping masks. It is not hard nor time consuming to move labels to a separate layer (select all text objects - drag - drop).

Please clarify what you are after!

Have you tried restarting Illustrator? The problem is bound to that document only. That is, if you create a new document in Illustrator,you can easily create artboards with this method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->