J. Harris

J. Harris

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Hi-

I am looking for a good printer for 11x17, 13x19 printing. Here is our firm's current setup. We have an HP T1100 that we use for Med-Lg format printing, lots of GIS exports with aerial imagery/text. Color representation is good and matches my screen adequately. We also have a Kyocera TASKalfa 400ci color laser for our normal 8.5x11 through 11x17. Color representation is horrible. We have worked with our printer supplier to calibrate as much as possible. they are telling us that poor color representation is due to the inherent way laser printers function. they gave a long explanation which was believable but I'm still not 100% convinced. I am looking for a printer for my office that would be used only for deliverable copies of these maps. Speed not an issue. Price is. I would like to stay in the $300-$500 range. Would like to be able to print 8.5x 11 through 13x19. the later is not required but would be nice. Recommendations?

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Canada

Well, I was going to mention that we have had a Xerox 7750 for the past 5 years or so that printed up to 12 x 18 that has done a great job but then you mentioned your price range. Not sure what kind of quality, speed, reliability and longevity you'd get for $300 to $500 but good luck . . . .

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I would believe your printer technician, lasers are for speed not color accuracy.

I use an Epson 1400

http://www.bhphotovi...r...G&A=details

With Epson profiles and papers, and a calibrated monitor I never have to guess what my print will look like. Epson is the industry standard for professional photographers and that should speak volumes for color accuracy.

The inks can also be found at any Office Depot/Max for around $25.00, or can be found online for about $20.00 each. This particular model is several years old, hence the cheaper price. I spent around $500.00 for it three years ago and it is still a work horse.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

J. Harris

J. Harris

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

I use an Epson 1400

That looks perfect. Thanks, I looked into the Xerox too. I think the Epson's price is perfect for my budget. I will probably print 150-200 pages/year with it. so it won't receive much traffic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->