jonathanelevy

jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Web-Based Mapping, Mapping in Art & New Media
  • United States

I'm trying to start creating oblique views from a normal overhead map view. Is there a tool or method in Illustrator that will allow me to transform, eg. all streets to an oblique angle. I hope to eventually extrude buildings and create a 3D scene.

Alternatively, maybe it is a question of projection in ArcMap. I may just need to adjust that and then export to illustrator. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

CS5 has the new perspective grids which might allow you to place your map on the ground plane and extrude the building heights up with the 3d transform tools. I've tried fiddling with the perspective grids though, and its... wacky. Not sure how else to explain it. The two point and three point grids are okay, but the 1 point perspective grid is missing an entire drawing plane (the plane that is parallel to the viewing window).

Of course, there are ways to do perspective in older versions of Illustrator by manually plotting vanishing points and station points and horizon lines and turning the whole thing into a web of custom guides. Here is an interesting tutorial on that technique.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

jonathanelevy

jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Web-Based Mapping, Mapping in Art & New Media
  • United States

Adam, this is was extremely helpful. I did the tutorial you attached and achieved the perspective effect I was looking for. Not the easiest method but I'm sure if I repeat it a few times I will have it under my belt! Still on CS4 but look forward to Adobe developing a tool for this. Thanks so much!

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

No problem! I'm glad it was helpful.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

0 user(s) are reading this topic