Donations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

As the site grows, so to does it's resource demands. I have struggled with the thought of asking for money, but costs have begun to add up to more than an insignificant amount.

Any small donation you might be able to make will help us add more storage and bandwidth, as well as possibly offer some new features like a true image-based map gallery and even a map competition with prizes!

You will notice a small PayPal donation button on the home page if you choose to donate.

Thanks you for all your support in 2005 and I look forward to 2006.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

toddao

toddao

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Astronomy, Photography, Orienteering, Shell Scripting
  • United States

Hi Nick,

This may have changed since the update, but I cannot find a paypal link on the home page.

Must donate to CartoTalk...

Todd

As the site grows, so to does it's resource demands. I have struggled with the thought of asking for money, but costs have begun to add up to more than an insignificant amount.

Any small donation you might be able to make will help us add more storage and bandwidth, as well as possibly offer some new features like a true image-based map gallery and even a map competition with prizes!

You will notice a small PayPal donation button on the home page if you choose to donate.

Thanks you for all your support in 2005 and I look forward to 2006.

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Nick,

I stand by the idea of paying something for this forum.

I do have a few suggestions.

- Maybe a small annual fee (e.g. 25 for business ... 10 for academic ect...) Anyway a structured fee system.
I understand that this is meant to be a public forum. So my idea might be off.

Not that I think the donation model is bad but I am more inclined toward a paying forum for Cartography and Design under NACIS as opposed to a public forum. It obviously adds an administrative twist to the forum but maybe under NACIS it would be possible?

I am new to NACIS and this forum, however from my personal experience so far a small cost would be overshadowed by the benefits and enjoyment provided by this forum.

For me it is not the quantity of members to the forum that counts but the quality of the information exchanged.

Adding a map competition is a great idea.

In the meantime I will donate a little something ... but I can't seem to find the paypall button?

Kindest regards,
Chart

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Same here, I can't find Paypal link. I wouldn't mind paying small fee for this great forum. Till then I will send some money via Paypal once the link or Paypal e-mail address is provided. I would allow reading the forum without a membership or free three month period to attract new members.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I had forgotten to add that link back in after the last hack and rebuild. I guess if people are dying to contribute I'll put it back. :)

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'd say take the money and run ;)

All kidding aside, there aren't much expenses associated with Cartotalk. It's mainly the hosting fees, which are more or less covered by the ads you see (by the way, Cartotalk is not affiliated with NACIS) and the time Nick, myself and the other admins and mods put in (of which Nick is covering the most).

Donations are of course always appreciated.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->