mhampson4

mhampson4

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi

I am trying to digitise over a set of geology maps input into ARCmap to topography tiles I have overlain, I was wondering if there is a quick way to copy the polygons from the geology maps into the digitising shapefile, with the association to the topographic tiles? I am currently manually picking the boundaries using the editor toolbar and 3D analyst which you probably know is time consuming.

I should mention the geology maps are a series of Polygons themselves in seperate shapefiles (not scanned images)

I am attempting to create structure contours for different formations and produce 3D topography profiles.

Thankyou
M.Hampson

Edited by mhampson4, 12 December 2010 - 08:23 AM.

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Definately you can copy/overlay your polygon files into your current image files and do what ever sort of manipulation you need, thats the beauty of the geology maps.

Thanks

Hi

I am trying to digitise over a set of geology maps input into ARCmap to topography tiles I have overlain, I was wondering if there is a quick way to copy the polygons from the geology maps into the digitising shapefile, with the association to the topographic tiles? I am currently manually picking the boundaries using the editor toolbar and 3D analyst which you probably know is time consuming.

I should mention the geology maps are a series of Polygons themselves in seperate shapefiles (not scanned images)

I am attempting to create structure contours for different formations and produce 3D topography profiles.

Thankyou
M.Hampson

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

jamesf

jamesf

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

I noticed you mention that the files you're digitizing elevation data from are shapefiles. What kind of attribution do they have? You should be able to convert them to either a TIN (Triangular Irregular Network?) or a Raster/DEM if you're using ArcGIS. I'd combine them all in a manner conducive to maintaining the highest data resolution per area (i.e. use clip/erase/boundaries/unions) to make one master-shapefile for elevations and then convert that to a raster for your analysis.

The worthiness of your resulting raster will depend completely on your shapefile's polygon's resolution & attribution but could be easier than the click-method.

Good luck!

mhampson4

mhampson4

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • United Kingdom

I noticed you mention that the files you're digitizing elevation data from are shapefiles. What kind of attribution do they have? You should be able to convert them to either a TIN (Triangular Irregular Network?) or a Raster/DEM if you're using ArcGIS. I'd combine them all in a manner conducive to maintaining the highest data resolution per area (i.e. use clip/erase/boundaries/unions) to make one master-shapefile for elevations and then convert that to a raster for your analysis.

The worthiness of your resulting raster will depend completely on your shapefile's polygon's resolution & attribution but could be easier than the click-method.

Good luck!

Thankyou for the replies and sorry iv been working on a different project for the past week, The topography data is in a series of DEM files I have now mosaiced for ease of use. The geology maps (Polygons) are the reference for the digitising and do not contain the topography heights in the attributes. I am digitising from one layer to another. Is there a way to project the polygon points onto the DEM topography tiles?

Thankyou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->