3 replies to this topic

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Does someone out there or Texans know where to find the state of Texas land ownership for me ? I am doing some rapid watershed assesement project for southern new mexico and Texas. Please give me the link to their websites.

Thanks,
Robert Pollock
USDA-NRCS

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Try the General Land Office.

However, Texas does not have the huge federal and BLM holdings that you may be used to in New Mexico. Texas kept all its public land for itself when it joined the Union.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Justin

Justin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • United States

Hi,

I work maintaining GIS land ownership data for a Texas County.

There is no statewide repository on land ownership data, with the exception of the original Spanish land grants, which are in polygon files you can get from TNRIS. Each county tax appraisal district is responsible for keeping up with the data. Each county keeps the data differently and in different formats, and some outsource the mapping to private companies. Many of the larger counties (Harris, Bexar, Travis, and mine: Collin) give out the GIS data for free download or upon request. Some charge for it (Dallas County charges $50,000 for their data).

Since there is no statewide website, you'd have to contact each county individually. You'll want to contact the county's GIS department first, but if they do not receive that data from the appraisal districts, you will have to contact the county appraisers directly. Each county has an appraisal district, except in Amarillo, where two counties share one.

Hope that helps!

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

CoreLogic sells Parcel data.

http://www.faspatial...ses/parcelpoint

0 user(s) are reading this topic