- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Archmap

Archmap

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

I need to generate a series of CSV files marking off elevations from a DEM along 60 or so straight survey lines.

I have tried both the quick and dirty interpolate line tool on the 3D Analyst tool bar as well as the Interpolate Shape tool to add Z values to my polyline shapefiles. Neither works they way I need it too.

What seems to be a large part of the problem is that my DEM has a good number of gaps in it anywhere from 1 pixel (3m) to 100 pixels (300m). Since this is a large survey area and these are long survey lines, interpolating across the gaps is fine for my purposes. But ArcGIS doesn't like it. I can coax usable data out of the quick and dirty interpolate to line tool, but the issue is that I need to reproduce the exact same lines for DEMs of the same area made from different years. Drawing the lines by hand is fine for one DEM, but when I need to redraw that line in the exact same place for each of my DEMs it gets tricky (there are also a lot of lines).

So I turned to the interpolate shape tool. I took the shapefile that had my survey lines in it, made a copy it for each DEM I have that I need to track the changes for and added z-values to each from the proper DEMs. But since these lines may encounter a dropped pixel or several, the resulting profile outputs are inaccurate. The distances of the lines are exaggerated at the locations where they encounter gap in the raster. A 9000m long survey line produces a 14,000m long profile graph with the extra 5000m appearing at the point where there was a small gap in the DEM. I can export this data as a CSV, load it into Excel, and then manually subtract the elongation from each affected cell, but that is very very time consuming.

There has to be a way to kick out a table of elevations along a line from a DEM without going down the profile graph path. Every spot in the raster has a X.Y. and Z value. I just need to know what those are along certain tracks.

Does anyone know of a script or workaround for Arc 10 that strips elevation data from either Polyline ZM shapefiles or from rasters and bypasses the 3D Analyst tool kit?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

spg

spg

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • New Zealand

ET Geowizards is able to strip the ZM values from a shapefile, I use it daily in 9.3.1. Try the ET Geowizards Site - it claims to work in 10.

Does anyone know of a script or workaround for Arc 10 that strips elevation data from either Polyline ZM shapefiles or from rasters and bypasses the 3D Analyst tool kit?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

I haven't tried it out, but I wonder if you could clean your raster up a bit first by converting it to points and then using one of the Raster Interpolation tools? That should clean up the gaps.
Laura

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->