burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Hi

I am in the process of creating a series of maps for an atlas. I have created a key map that is in the shape of a globe. This globe does have some raster layers in it. When I write the map to any file format (PDF, JPG) it creates a white background instead of being transparent. I am using ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP2. I know this is a know issue and I have tried options such as Clipping the view to a shape, setting the background to a different colour and making that colour transparent. The only thing I can think of now is to export the keymap and add it using Illustrator. Has anyone been able to solve this problem directly in ArcMap?

Thanks
Bruce BurwellGIS Analyst
Saudi Aramco

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

....export the keymap and add it using Illustrator. Has anyone been able to solve this problem directly in ArcMap?

While there is no known in ArcMap solution, these ESRI forums are of a related topic and do offer some specific workflows in regards to your question.

It appears the white, instead of transparency, on export is a result of the graphics engine limitations on microsofts side. ESRI claims to be rebuilding this, a daunting task...

Discusses File Formats

Export Workarounds

SouthernCross

SouthernCross

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Canada

Hi

I am in the process of creating a series of maps for an atlas. I have created a key map that is in the shape of a globe. This globe does have some raster layers in it. When I write the map to any file format (PDF, JPG) it creates a white background instead of being transparent. I am using ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP2. I know this is a know issue and I have tried options such as Clipping the view to a shape, setting the background to a different colour and making that colour transparent. The only thing I can think of now is to export the keymap and add it using Illustrator. Has anyone been able to solve this problem directly in ArcMap?

Thanks
Bruce BurwellGIS Analyst
Saudi Aramco

ArcGIS 9.x or previous versions cannot handle transparency support (either importing or exporting). I know ArcGIS 10 can handle importing transparencies in layouts, however I'm not sure about exporting maps.
W.P.
"Hic sunt leones"
www.neagis.com

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

key map that is in the shape of a globe. This globe does have some raster layers in it. When I write the map to any file format (PDF, JPG) it creates a white background instead of being transparent.

I have since been playing with this and have found a workaround. EMF!

But you will have to have the dataframes in seperate MXD's or alter the page layout for a quick export.

For instance. Right click the data frame properties for the globe map. Record it's size (width and height).

Start a new empty map and copy that inset data frame to this empty map, remove default data frame so that it is the only one
Go to File -> Page and Print Setup
Under the Map Page Size portion of this window, remove the checkmark from Use Printer Paper Settings and input the previously recorded width and height of the data frame into the Page size (adjusting orientation as needed).

Now, center your inset data frame to the newly sized paper space both vertically and horizontally.

Go back to File -> Export
Save as type: EMF
Resolution: (max of printer or user preference, I use 2400 because that is my printer limit)
Leave the quality to Best and Ratio 1:1

Click Save to initiate the export, and when finished, go back to your original map.
Go to Insert -> Picture and navigate to your exported EMF and click OK back to the map. All vectors should be retained and can be scaled or positioned (with transparency respected).
This inserted EMF can be placed where the inset data frame was, and that data frame can be removed or turned off.

NOTE: that layers that have a transparency enabled(vector or raster) will rasterize that layer, and any layers underneath them in the table of contents, this is a graphics engine limitation with no current workaround. Best to keep transparent layers at the bottom of your drawing order in order to limit the amount of rasterization on export.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
-->