• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

midori

midori

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Poland

Hi All,
Hope my question is not duplicating another thread on this forum (have checked but maybe not thoroughly enough:/).
I've faced problem while labeling attributes in Arc 9.3. I have many attributes (numeric) for every edge which change with edge length. I table there are separate columns reflecting distance from which our desired attribute is changing. I would like to get labels with the attribute along exact sector of a particular edge. Any ideas?
attribute table sample:
id
total_length
distance1
attribute1
distance2
attribute2

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

I would like to get labels with the attribute along exact sector of a particular edge. Any ideas?
attribute table sample:
id
total_length
distance1
attribute1
distance2
attribute2

I am having some trouble understanding what it is exactly you are trying to do.

1.) Are you having an issue with the label not showing up exactly on the line how you would like?

or

2.) Are you wanting to have two columns displayed as a single label on the line? ie, attribute 1 & distance 1

midori

midori

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Poland

'distance1' is providing an information on which part of edge we get 'attribute1'. For example:
distance1 50m
attribute1 100
distance2 75m
attribute2 300
- it means that for our ONE edge which is longer than 75m we get two attributes. first one is defined between 50th and 75th meter (defined by following distances) and second between 75m and distance3 (or is defined till the end of an edge) and so on...

I guess every edge should be divided into segments defined by distance1,2,... but I have no idea if it is possible using Arc only. So... yes. I would like to get attributes' labels exactly on the spot where it should be.

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

I could imagine that setting up your data with route measurements (M-values) would help you achieve what you want, but I'm not sure you can do that with ArcView, you might need ArcEditor or ArcInfo. This would save you from having to divide your edges into separate segments. I'm guessing though that labelling the route points with the different fields is going to be a tricky piece of work.

On the other hand, if you are dealing with only a few edges with only a few divisions each, you might be faster by converting your labels to annotation and place them by hand exactly where you want them.
Cheers,

Kathi

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

I guess every edge should be divided into segments defined by distance1,2,... but I have no idea if it is possible using Arc only. So... yes. I would like to get attributes' labels exactly on the spot where it should be.

This may become a task for you, depending on how many features you need this done to.

I would start by beginning an editing session.

Select the portion of line you would like to have split up.
Note: If you have to select two or more segments, perform a merge on them, this is done by selecting the features, then using the merge in the editor tab, not the merge tool from the toolbox.

After the merge (if necessary), select that single/continuous line segment and click the Split button found in the editor pulldown, it will be in the same menu as the merge operation you may or may not of used already.

The window that pops up will allow you to split the line segment based on a percentage of the total line, or a defined distance.

To get that distance into the attributes for labeling, open the attribute table and create a new double or float integer field. Right click the header of that field and click Calculate Geometry, and select Length and the appropriate units then OK. This field can then be used for labeling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->