• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Christina Z.

Christina Z.

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Hello! I admit I've been stalking these forums for a bit and just registering now. I fell in love with cartography while I was a grad student. My initial project had nothing at all to do with maps (paleolimnological analysis of diatom populations in a glacial kettle lake in Northeast Ohio) but I was taking an intro GIS course at the time and realized how much better my project could be if I integrated GIS with it. I took old aerial photos, digitized/mosaicked them, georef'd them, and created a watershed vector of the lake I was studying. Clipping the aerial rasters to the vector, processing each one for texture/reflectance/skew, and then assigning RGB values to each process, I was able to force a multi-band color image of each old black and white aerial. Running an unsupervised classification on each new image resulted in a surprisingly decent breakdown of values that I could assign land-use labels to. I started with an aerial set from 1937 and by the time I got to the 2000's, I was hooked on GIS.

I work now as a Watershed Coordinator for a non-profic watershed organization here in Northeast Ohio, and I use GIS all the time to identify water quality issues within my watershed. I'm largely self-taught and always looking for ways to refine what I do. One of the biggest challenges I have is taking data which can be scientifically over the head of most average citizens in my watershed communities and representing it accurately in a strong visual that they'll understand. Surfing this forum has helped me tremendously.

So I just wanted to finally register, say hi, and thank you for being here! :)

Cheers,
CZ

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->