Jump to content


Need Help with english word

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Mike H

Mike H

    Master Contributor

  • Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Location:State College, PA
  • United States

Like Dennis, I always called it 'inline fill' simply because that was the cmd in freehand. Then I worked for a cart firm that called it a "type halo", and they always had a dedicated halo layer. Maybe that is because that firm used illy, which doesn't have a cmd at all for the effect; in illy you convert to outlines and increase the stroke.

The cart lab also used the term 'making a fatty', but it had nothing to do with typography.... ;)

Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com




    Legendary Contributor

  • Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berlin, Deutschland
  • Germany

I think "Frei," means "free" and “stellung” means "position." One translation for "freistellung" is "exemption."

This is correct, but too literal in this case. In this case the connotation is much more in the line of "de-obfuscation" as "Freistellung" means the step in the work-order of making things more visible by seperation from the background. For example, crossing line segments are oftentimes "magicked", especially in thematic cartography. I´ll post an example later.

In America, I'm pretty sure we call this ancient, pre-digital photocomposition technique a "knockout." Type is usually positioned on a separate overlay that prints over the composite. If you knock out the composite background directly behind the type, the type is "free" or "exempt" from the background and keeps its color and integrity when it overprints. "Friestellung" seems to mean the technique of dropping out the background, including a slight buffer zone following the contour the type, so that the type stands free of the background and is more legible.

"Freistellung" is (in this case) not a technique (and not restricted to type), but the concept of making more readable.
So far a very enlightening discussion, I think we are closing in on a solution.


Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

    Ultimate Contributor

  • Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I agree that "Knocking Out" comes close to what I can only assume is the spirit of the word. In english we also have the concept of figure ground, which I think sort of applies here. It describes how much an object is separable from the background. How much white/empty space surrounds it.



    Key Contributor

  • Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • United States

Are you guys talking about ghosting? That's what I would call it.




  • Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

This is my first post to this board and I want to say a general "thanks" for many of the tips and tricks I have learned here. I also want to apologize to Kartograph for almost stealing his screen name... I didn't realize I did that until just now.

Anyway, I think Kartograph almost had the definition when he offered this...

"Freistellung" means the step in the work-order of making things more visible by seperation from the background


While it may not be the exact graphic term for "freistellen", I would say separation - or "visual separation" - is the best generic term for what freistellen accomplishes. A native German speaker can correct me if I'm wrong - it's been a while since I've uebte mein Deutsch - but wouldn't you say freistellen or freisetzen if you take something out of its context (for example, removing a car from a train consist)? In this case, I'd say visual separation takes text out of its context.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users