5 replies to this topic

The Mad Mapper

The Mad Mapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Canada

Hello All,

I am working with ArcMap (ArcView) 9.3.1 to create maps, and I am stuggling to get my styles in the style file organized.

I know about the style manager, and therefore can delete, modify and rename different styles...the problem is, they always appear in the same order in the Symbol Selector window....They appear in the order they were created....The oldest at top, and the more recent at the bottom.

I would rather have them appear in an order that I choose, so that styles that I use more often automatically show up at the top, and then I don't have to stroll down.

Or alternatively, I would like to have all my customs colors appear in a certain order....

I am hoping someone has an idea, or a suggestion on how to do this...Or maybe this is changed in V10, and i should not bother and wait till I have the courage to upgrade? :lol:

Thanks a million!

MM

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I'm not an expert on the styles, style manager or selector, so I could be off here. I don't know of a way to do what you're talking about in 9.3.
Things have changed quite a bit in 10.0, especially in regards to the style selector you get when you go to select a different symbol. There are more options for setting how the symbols are listed, flitering options, and search capabilities in the style selector.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

The Mad Mapper

The Mad Mapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Canada

I'm not an expert on the styles, style manager or selector, so I could be off here. I don't know of a way to do what you're talking about in 9.3.
Things have changed quite a bit in 10.0, especially in regards to the style selector you get when you go to select a different symbol. There are more options for setting how the symbols are listed, flitering options, and search capabilities in the style selector.

Thanks Dave!

Here is a question for you. When you say that there are more settings for how the symbols are listed, do you mean in the way they are listed the symbol selector or in the style manager?

If it is in the symbol selector, that will gine me a good reason to install v10.

M

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Here is a question for you. When you say that there are more settings for how the symbols are listed, do you mean in the way they are listed the symbol selector or in the style manager?

If it is in the symbol selector, that will gine me a good reason to install v10.

M

In the Symbol Selector. You can choose to Group by style, so if you have several styles referenced you will see all of the symbols in each style grouped together. You can choose to Group by category, so if you have categories defined for the symbols you will see them grouped that way. Categories are something you can edit yourself in the style manager.

I hope that helps :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

DefenS

DefenS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

I actually need to explore this as well. You can open a style in microsoft access. It may be possible to reorder there...

The Mad Mapper

The Mad Mapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Canada

I actually need to explore this as well. You can open a style in microsoft access. It may be possible to reorder there...

Oooooh! That's really interesting. What a good idea! I will check it out as well. Thanks for the insight Defens!

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->