Hello from Florida

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Ptolemy

Ptolemy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Greetings from the Sunshine State. I've been a lurker on here for a while and am just now getting to this introduction. I've been in the GIS world for about 12 years and have found that many people are GIS savvy, but lack artistic skills to cartographically depict their findings. I look to this sight to help keep my cartographic faith and to see what others are doing to add a little spice to mapping.

I reside in Tampa area and enjoy riding my ST1300 when the heat won't melt me.

-David

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

Welcome to Cartotalk!

Oh I hear you about lacking artistical skills! And I keep shaking my head about all those who take the standard ArcView scale bars or coordinate grids and keep them just as they are when it would take only seconds to adjust them and make them look so much better....

(For example map units in switzerland are metres, so coordinates come in the form of 654'321/234'567. So 6 digits after the comma are just a hoax, yet the ArcGIS default is 6 digits after the comma, and people just keep it that way...)

Well, enough ranting already. Welcome, and let's hope the iste inspires you in the same ways it inspires me!
Cheers,

Kathi

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Welcome! It's always good to see GIS people take an interest in the cartographic side of things. :)

Did you get to attend the recent NACIS conference in St. Petersburg?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Ptolemy

Ptolemy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Welcome! It's always good to see GIS people take an interest in the cartographic side of things. :)

Did you get to attend the recent NACIS conference in St. Petersburg?

I did not get to attend. I was in the midst of a team transfer at work.

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Welcome! It's good to see the GIS world is finally putting some thought into aesthetics :)

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->