• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi Nick, thanks again for all the work on the board!

I just noticed one thing, I tried to attach a Google Earth kmz-file (place marker) in the Guess that location thread - and the board complain that it wasn't permitted. Perhaps kmz should be whitelisted... ?

Also - there have been several interesting threads that have grown to multiple pages now, and the last post/sorting issue is very un-intuitive for us that sort with oldest first... (also - posting returns you to the page with the oldest post). It would nice if that could be fixed - when you have time/energy!

By the way - I assume that the Avenza sponsorship/ads don't bring in that much money - I wouldn't mind donating a bit for the support of the board, and I would also support more ads, if you want to go that route (but maybe that is not possible if Avenza has an exclusive deal?).

Thanks again,
Hugo
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hugo,

I think the attachment option is really only meant for image files...

Alternatively, it's not that hard to write a bit of PHP that spits out the appropriate KML for Google. Stay tuned for that.

-- edit --

Here you go:
Show a location in Google Earth

This spits out url's like this:
http://www.map-serve...20&lat=52&lon=5

As far as operating costs, I think Nick is the one who has all the information, but not so long ago he told me that there's really no need to ask for donation of any kind.

Edited by Hans van der Maarel, 11 December 2005 - 09:35 AM.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Hugo,

The board really assumes that attachments are an image file so it can display them inline. There is no setting for allowing other file types. There my be a modification out there that allows this - I will look.

I still need to modify the board code to fix the last post issue, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

As far as costs go, the Avenza advertising is semi-exclusive until April. They have agreed to allow NACIS to sponsor the board as well. The ads for that are coming soon. However, the revenue from that is minimal.

The only operating cost issue now is disk space, we are starting to eat it up rapidly at this point and I don't want to limit the board. I have been weighing asking for a donation to add some disk space and maybe some additional board features, but so far I haven't felt right to ask.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

you are also putting in a fair amount of time into this (aren't we all). An amazon gift list (with map books?) would be another thing, that you should consider putting up.

On the KMZ file, I didn't think about that, I could - of course - have put it on my own web server and linked to it.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

KMZ's are now an allowed attachment type.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->