• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

doove

doove

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

Hi there,

Just joined to see if I could find some help about taking a vector map (Illustrator) and add a simulation of terrain at the base level. Is it doable in Illustrator or would it be better off importing the map into a different program (suggesitions for any that are easy to use for newbies and possibly even free?) and still keep all of the layers of info (roads, rivers, placenames, borders, parks, etc). Any way to import this map into a 3D program and give it some depth and texture while keeping the info in different layers?

What I'm really looking to do is to take a relatively detailled but 2D vector map and give it some simulated 3D depth with a terrain look and feel à la Google Earth/Google Maps.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Doove

CGIS

CGIS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

Hi there,

Just joined to see if I could find some help about taking a vector map (Illustrator) and add a simulation of terrain at the base level. Is it doable in Illustrator or would it be better off importing the map into a different program (suggesitions for any that are easy to use for newbies and possibly even free?) and still keep all of the layers of info (roads, rivers, placenames, borders, parks, etc). Any way to import this map into a 3D program and give it some depth and texture while keeping the info in different layers?

What I'm really looking to do is to take a relatively detailled but 2D vector map and give it some simulated 3D depth with a terrain look and feel à la Google Earth/Google Maps.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Doove

Hi Doove,

You can definitely do this - but it's not easy to get a good result. There are a lot of different approaches using a range of softwares. My preference would be for rasterization and layering/rendering in a 3D Package.

I don't know what your budget is, but we might be able to work with you on it if you decide to not tackle it yourself.

Here's our geovis brochure with a couple examples:
http://www.charone.c...sualization.pdf

Cheers,
Andrew Schroeder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->