Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Hiking, Natural History, Photgraphy, Travel, Food
  • United States

Greetings,

I posted a map sample over in the Map Gallery.

It was suggested I try differentiating the stream network by using a tapered brush in AI CS2.

Not knowing how to do this I tried adjusting the line weights to represent stream flow.

In the attached fill there is one stream section which is all sized to 1pt - this is on the left. The other section uses different line weights of .50, .75 and 1.25pt.

The questions are:
Is the adequate to represent stream flow?
Are the line weights significantly different enough to actually be discernable when process printed on glossy stock?

-Mike

Attached Files

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Are the line weights significantly different enough to actually be discernable when process printed on glossy stock?

Yes, indeed. 0.3 pt is about the minimum I use, but the eye can perceive--even if it can't identify-- three or four widths between 0.3 and 1 point. And look how much more easily one follows the network of different line weights.

FreeHand doesn't have the tapered line capability, so this is exactly how I do stream networks. I give the lines rounded ends, so no gaps can ever appear. And I try to make line weight changes at logical locations, such as at junctions or just upstream of large bends.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

Yes, indeed. 0.3 pt is about the minimum I use, but the eye can perceive--even if it can't identify-- three or four widths between 0.3 and 1 point. And look how much more easily one follows the network of different line weights.

FreeHand doesn't have the tapered line capability, so this is exactly how I do stream networks. I give the lines rounded ends, so no gaps can ever appear. And I try to make line weight changes at logical locations, such as at junctions or just upstream of large bends.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your feed back, it is most encouraging.
-Mike

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I just looked in AICS2 for the "Tapered Brush" and found it in the "Artistic_Ink" Brush Library.

After fiddling with it for a few minutes, I am very impressed. It seems to behave very organically and adjusts width based on line-length as well as the number of points in a segment.

Most of the mpas I make are derived from GIS data so the segments must be joined and/or smoothed (see Rick Johnson's "Concatenate" plug-in), but it produces a nice effect.

I think it would add a very nice artistic touch to those who generate streams from scratch (you can even apply it to AI's magic pencil tool).
__
Matthew

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Attached File  hydro.gif   3.37KB   201 downloads

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • United States

That's nearly the same as what I did...
Attached File  tapered_lines2.gif   30.97KB   180 downloads

www.oregonmetro.gov

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

Hi Matthew,

I briefly played around with the Tapered Brush. Might be a good choice for some - but not for me. I would go nuts trying to paint all the streams for then entire watershed!

What do you mean "(you can even apply it to AI's magic pencil tool)."

Thanks,
-Mike

I just looked in AICS2 for the "Tapered Brush" and found it in the "Artistic_Ink" Brush Library.

After fiddling with it for a few minutes, I am very impressed.  It seems to behave very organically and adjusts width based on line-length as well as the number of points in a segment.

Most of the mpas I make are derived from GIS data so the segments must be joined and/or smoothed (see Rick Johnson's "Concatenate" plug-in), but it produces a nice effect.

I think it would add a very nice artistic touch to those who generate streams from scratch (you can even apply it to AI's magic pencil tool).
__
Matthew

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

That's nearly the same as what I did...
Attached File  tapered_lines2.gif   30.97KB   180 downloads

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting - sure gives a hand drawn look. Much nicer than the machine like sameness of GIS generated lines.

Did you draw this from scratch or trace over an image or existing lines?

I had a lot of trouble controlling the line width and length of taper.
I tried to draw a tapered end on some existing stream segments and found it very difficult to match the stroke size.

What is the point of choosing the line weight of the brush by % in stead of a px size?

Thanks,

-Mikr

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • United States

Did you draw this from scratch or trace over an image or existing lines?

I was just playing around and did this from scratch.

I tried to draw a tapered end on some existing stream segments and found it very difficult to match the stroke size.

I think matching a tapered segment to the end of a line would be esp. difficult. The lines I drew were done using a tapered stroke for the full length of the line.

What is the point of choosing the line weight of the brush by % in stead of a px size?

I am not too sure what you mean by that. Are you referring to the % in the Art Brush Options?

I leave that at 100% and make sure the Proportional box is checked as this gives you the variances based on stroke length and # of points in a segment.Attached File  Picture_21.png   34.36KB   156 downloads

www.oregonmetro.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->