2 replies to this topic

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

In one of the threads here I came across a fantastic link on positioning names on maps.

Is there something similar about the conventions to follow when labelling city maps?

Many thanks in advance

Ravs

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Canada

I don't know of anything along similar lines that's been written about city maps. This may be because street maps are almost always privately produced. The basic guidelines as described by Imhof still stand -- they're applicable to virtually any kind of map.

That being said, there are stylistic differences in different parts of the world. In North America, as a general rule, street names are not letterspaced along the streets; they are kept with zero kerning. In most other parts of the world, there's more spacing of the names. This is especially true of street maps in the UK.

Probably the best thing to do is to study lots of different street maps, at different scales, and done in different styles. And then plunge in and do it yourself! B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks Charles, I guess I'll have to re-purpose Imoff's principles for cities and study city maps carefully as you say!

All the best

Ravi.

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->