Photo

AI CS2 selected segments to a new layer-How?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Hiking, Natural History, Photgraphy, Travel, Food
  • United States

Can someone tell me how to save selected paths to a new layer?

I am selecting out specific stream segments and want each segment group as a new layer.

I have tried:
Select the segments and then copy and paste.
This works but pastes them randomly and not directly on top of the selected segments.

Select the segments and then choose Collect in New Layer.
The new layer is created, but is empty.

Thanks,
-Mike

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Mike,

This would do it:

- Select the objects you want to put on a different layer
- Cut (CTRL-X)
- Create a new layer and make it active
- Paste in Front (CTRL-F)

Shortcuts are for the Windows version, on Mac that's either Apple or Option instead of Control.

The regular paste (CTRL-V) pastes the content of the clipboard centered on the screen. Paste in Front (and Paste in Back, CTRL-B) place the content of the clipboard on exactly the same page coordinates as the original. Front/back controls where the objects are placed within Illustrator's object stack (and consequently whether they will appear in front or behind the original). This is only of interest when you're pasting in the same layer.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

This only work if you have the option for "Paste Remembers Layer" turned off. This is accessed in the dropdown menu on the corner of the Layers palette. Otherwise it will be pasted back on the same layer.

Alternatively, once you have selected the objects you will notice a small colored square on the far right of the layer entry in the palette (the color matches the layer's selection color). Drag this square in the palette to the target layer. The objects are moved to the new layer and the position remains the same.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

For what ever reason, I could not get the first option to work. I toggled the "Paste Remembers Layer" back and forth and as soon as I pasted the highlight would jump form the newly selectedlayer to the layer from which the slections were made and paste the selection there.

I did get the second option to work.
Thanks!
-Mike

This only work if you have the option for "Paste Remembers Layer" turned off.  This is accessed in the dropdown menu on the corner of the Layers palette.  Otherwise it will be pasted back on the same layer.

Alternatively, once you have selected the objects you will notice a small colored square on the far right of the layer entry in the palette (the color matches the layer's selection color).  Drag this square in the palette to the target layer.  The objects are moved to the new layer and the position remains the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

Mike,

This would do it:

- Select the objects you want to put on a different layer
- Cut (CTRL-X)
- Create a new layer and make it active
- Paste in Front (CTRL-F)

Shortcuts are for the Windows version, on Mac that's either Apple or Option instead of Control.

The regular paste (CTRL-V) pastes the content of the clipboard centered on the screen. Paste in Front (and Paste in Back, CTRL-B) place the content of the clipboard on exactly the same page coordinates as the original. Front/back controls where the objects are placed within Illustrator's object stack (and consequently whether they will appear in front or behind the original). This is only of interest when you're pasting in the same layer.

Hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This work as well as grabbing the red box and dragging to the new layer.
Thanks for clarifying the paste option for AI.
I was not successful in copying the selections to a new layer on moving them.

As always, thanks.

-Mike

pantone801

pantone801

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Design, Cartography, Fonts, Colour, Symbolisation
  • Australia

There are 2 quick ways to do this:

1) Select all the objects to be moved, then click on the layer in the layers panel to select it. Then right-click (opt click for mac) and select - arrange, send to current layer.
If you are planning on doing this regularly, set up a keyboard shortcut to send to layer.

2) Select the objects to me moved, the select edit, cut (or CMD+X). The lock all other layers, except for the one you want to paste into (Option+click on the lock icon next to the layer will lock all other layers). Then selct Edit, Paste in front.

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

There are 2 quick ways to do this:

1) Select all the objects to be moved, then click on the layer in the layers panel to select it. Then right-click (opt click for mac)  and select - arrange, send to current layer.
If you are planning on doing this regularly, set up a keyboard shortcut to send to layer.

2) Select the objects to me moved, the select edit, cut (or CMD+X). The lock all other layers, except for the one you want to paste into (Option+click on the lock icon next to the layer will lock all other layers). Then selct Edit, Paste in front.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greetings,
I could not get option 1 to work.
Everytime I chose "arrange, send to current layer" all the paths in the original layer are be sent to the new ( high-lighted ) layer and removed from the original layer.

I find selecting and then grabbing the red square and dragging it to the new layer the quickest and easiest for me.

Thanks,
-Mike

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

1) Select all the objects to be moved, then click on the layer in the layers panel to select it. Then right-click (opt click for mac)  and select - arrange, send to current layer.

Chrystar,
Your instructions for 1) are a bit misleading...

You need to right click the selected object ( and not the destination layer in the layer panel as the directions suggest)... drop down to Arrange in the menu and choose "Send to Current Layer"....this works for me fine Mike. If you are havinhg troubles with this it may be that you are selecting objects that are grouped, compound, locked or within a clipping mask.

mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->