- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

GISstudent

GISstudent

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sweden

Me and a classmate are about to prepare for our master thesis (starting in January). We have not yet decided on topic, but we know the rough direction/subjects we are looking for..

Courses studied/ interests:
GIS
Remote sensing
Image analysis
Field measurment

There is a scholarship available at our institution, called MFS(minor field study) supplied by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency. This allows for a short period of data collection/ processing, research in a development country. We are hoping to get this opertunity.

Given our interests/expertise maybe you guys have some ideas, or suggestions.. In particular, we are looking for some kind of organization that can act as a contact/supervisor in the host country.

Discussion, questions and comments - all greatly apprechiated.
/Anders

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Interplanetary Geographic Research or maybe I'm thinking too far ahead in the future. :D

But here's a potential topic: the battle Ground of Geographers v.s. Engineers for control of the GIS field.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

CGIS

CGIS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

Interplanetary Geographic Research or maybe I'm thinking too far ahead in the future. :D

But here's a potential topic: the battle Ground of Geographers v.s. Engineers for control of the GIS field.

Just read an article about bees "http://www.guardian....nding-problems" being able to solve travelling salesman problems quickly.

It made me think that a thesis paper that proposing a method for 3-dimensional traveling salesman analysis would be interesting. Similar to a bee solving flowers on a vine/tree rather than flowers in a field (2D). Doesn't tie into image analysis UNLESS:

Using frame-by-frame analysis of video to reconstruct target locations in 3D-space (either real-time or post-processed) and plot shortest path through all points. Could be useful in industrial applications, machine vision, robotics, assembly search and rescue.

GISstudent

GISstudent

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sweden

Just read an article about bees "http://www.guardian....nding-problems" being able to solve travelling salesman problems quickly.

It made me think that a thesis paper that proposing a method for 3-dimensional traveling salesman analysis would be interesting. Similar to a bee solving flowers on a vine/tree rather than flowers in a field (2D). Doesn't tie into image analysis UNLESS:

Using frame-by-frame analysis of video to reconstruct target locations in 3D-space (either real-time or post-processed) and plot shortest path through all points. Could be useful in industrial applications, machine vision, robotics, assembly search and rescue.

I read the same article in a local paper today. Very interesting indeed, Ill disuss it with my partner!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hej och välkommen!

Just out of curiousity - where are you studying?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

GISstudent

GISstudent

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sweden

Hej och välkommen!

Just out of curiousity - where are you studying?

Tackar! Im studying in Lund.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->