Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Good morning from New Mexico,

I am here to write a question for you. Please exuse my grammer . I am trying to write a model builder to create slope and hillshade because I have to do that for about 240 1:24,000 quads!

I just wanted to see if anybody out there has a better method or a suggest a way around.

I have written down a model builder and it works but wanted to see a quicker way.

Here is the sample screenshot.

Robert Pollock
For USA/Canada can call me at 1 -866-642-3890.
For international, can drop me a note here

Attached Files

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

Hi Robert

Considering the simplicity of the task, I don't think you can make it any quicker. I suppose, using a python script would help with looping through all the files in your workspace...rather than manually selecting the files to process.

Instead of creating 2 gdbs to store the results, why not just use two raster catalogs instead? But I don't think it cuts down on time or effort...

Also, maybe set a precondition so the model does the slope after the hillshade? I'm guessing ArcMap justs runs one process after another anyway....

Actually, creating a mosaic of all the dems might be quicker as then the slope & hillshade tools will have to run only once.
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Dustin,

Thanks for dropping this note. Yes, I agree with you but our staff would like them to be in 1:24,000 scale. Yes, this may sound a lot of work to do but the model Builder I showed here is not what I wanted. I have modified and experiment with it and found what I like .

I am not too familiar with the python script. Do you have a website to point me to where can I learn ? Right now our agency is using ArcGIS 9.2 SP6 and are not looking to upgrade to 10 anytime soon. :(

Thanks,
Robert

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

Hey Robert

You don't need ArcGIS 10 for any of my suggestions. There are plenty of online resources to learn Python. Try the ESRI User Conference proceedings (search for python or geoprocessing). Alternatively geospatialtraining.com have a cheap but extensive python e-course that you can download and go through at your own pace. I've been on the official ESRI course....and the e-course matches it for content.

The advantage of using raster catalogs is that you can still maintain the 24,000 tiling and this way your end users don't have to worry about which tile to load. If you haven't already, raster catalogs are worth the investigation...

So what did you go with the end?
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Dustin,

I will do that. The reason I am doing this modify model builder is because the DEM does not come 7.5 individuals and they were mosaic into one big tile that was given to us from the military. The DEM are in IFSAR and comes with DSM and DTM.

So, from there, I will load the hillshade and the slope to the raster catalog. with the quadrangles feature. Do I make myself clearly to you?

By the way, I am almost finished with the model builder and it takes some time to sort them out. I will review them with the Report I printed and make sure there are no errors.

Correct me if I am wrong,

Take care,
Robert

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Python is very powerful and useful to learn/know - I have had great fun with it. One way to get started with it is to export your model to python, and then modify it from there. You can also save it as a tool, and then execute it from python.

That way you would only have to worry about looping over the rasters, then you can just execute the tool from Python.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->