• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ColleenO

ColleenO

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hello members of the forum,

My name is Colleen and I'm a grad student at the University of Texas.
For one of my classes I am participating in a group project about cartographers!

Our goal is to understand cartographers as a 'community of practice' so we're interested in knowing how you identify yourselves as a community.

My group members and I are very interested to learn about your research focuses and mapping techniques and we'd appreciate if you could point us to any resources which might help us better understand your field of practice.

Regarding this forum directly, would any of you mind telling me how you feel this forum contributes to your involvement in the field of cartography and how you connect with and exchange information with your colleagues?

We appreciate any help and feedback.

Thanks,

Colleen

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome - that sounds like an interesting thing to look into - but I think it would help if you would narrow in exactly what you want!

My group members and I are very interested to learn about your research focuses and mapping techniques and we'd appreciate if you could point us to any resources which might help us better understand your field of practice.

Keep in mind that most of us here are practicing cartographers, so research focus does not really apply. You might want to look at the work published in the map gallery, or our respective portfolios (often linked in signatures or introductory posts).

Regarding this forum directly, would any of you mind telling me how you feel this forum contributes to your involvement in the field of cartography and how you connect with and exchange information with your colleagues?

You might want to narrow down that to a set of more concrete questions, or maybe choose to have a more detailed questionnaire/interview with a few people from here. I feel that this forum, which I try to visit daily, gives a sense of community, and I both pick up tips/methods from here, as well as share my skills. It is also a great place to post a quick question about data, software or methodologies.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Also - keep in mind that we are a very diverse bunch here - from all over the World, some are more programmers and GIS people than cartographers, some are student. Some (few) are academia, some are freelancers, yet other are working at bigger firms or for government. Some are just amateurs or enthusiasts for which this is a hobby, maybe even making (very fascinating) imaginary maps!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->