• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Cameron Ellis

Cameron Ellis

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi. I'm relatively new to dynamic/web-based mapping and wondering what platform to start investing in? I think my goals are pretty simple...

A map with embedded photos/text that opens when a point is clicked on. It would be great if the process of adding text and photos to the points was easy - like a little mini blog contained in each point.

Thanks,

Cameron

PS I use a lot of Adobe Stuff, Illustrator, Flash, etc - so that's what I'm familiar with. Not much coding experience, but not allergic to it either.

Cameron Ellis

Cameron Ellis

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

PPS: Google Earth does this to some extent. But I'd like to create my own basemaps and limit the extent to my specific areas and really do a nice job of presenting the embedded information. Has anyone here seen this type of map anywhere?

To be specific, I want to create a map of a town. The "enriched" points will be buildings/developments within that town, and for each building/development I would like to embed a brief photo essay. I'm sure this has been done before - I just haven't seen it.

Thanks again

radek

radek

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Switzerland

You might find some useful links here, here and here.

Good tutorial also here.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Canada

If you want to bypass the GIS aspect altogether, and just draw a map in Illy and add popups, you may want to look at MapsAlive. A bit of money, but it will save a lot of time and learning code.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Cameron Ellis

Cameron Ellis

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Great,

Thanks for these ideas, there's a lot to sift through here. I love the idea of popups, but I really want to dial in the presentation of the embedded information: ie: click on the point, the whole screen dims and a nice clean window of embedded photos/text/graphics appears center stage.

CE

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

As a GIS folk, i would recommend going for Autodesk MapGuide, pretty, cool to use, cost is less compared to arc Product..i have published thousands of maps using this...i like it, just try authoring using a demo one..

Regards
GISGURU

Great,

Thanks for these ideas, there's a lot to sift through here. I love the idea of popups, but I really want to dial in the presentation of the embedded information: ie: click on the point, the whole screen dims and a nice clean window of embedded photos/text/graphics appears center stage.

CE

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

JohnDriz

JohnDriz

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

It seems like GISCloud.com would be a good fit. But if you already use Illustrator and like Adobe products I would really take a look at MaPublisher. You could achieve the callouts pretty easily with MaPublisher simply by using the export to flash tool which also lets you customize the callouts with related attributes, charts, photos, etc with some customization. The GeoPDF export which can be uploaded to your smart phone giving you a blinking dot of where your are by triangulating your location using cellphone towers is pretty cool too.

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

Google Fusion Tables might do the trick for you.
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->