62 replies to this topic

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Personally there are several places in Canada I would love to visit, but there are a number of considerations that need to be taken into account. One is the cost of getting there. Another is the cost of holding a conference there, both to NACIS and to individual attendees. It also helps, but isn't absolutely necessary, if there is a local entity that can help with arrangements. There are also things like "walkability", as anyone who attended the conference in St. Louis can attest. Lots of us do like to get out, see the sights and eat the foods. Past experience should be kept in mind - I know the one NACIS meeting that was held in Canada was a long time ago, but NACIS can hardly afford a repeat with very low turnout. I don't think the conference location is the main reason people choose to attend or not, but I do think if they are on the fence (whether due to financial constraints or otherwise) an interesting location might tip the balance (but maybe not if it costs too much more).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

SouthernCross

SouthernCross

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Canada

What about a location like Ottawa? It has a terrific dedicated public transportation system, the downtown core is very walkable with the parliament buildings very close to a plethora of accomodations. In the winter you can go to winterlude (festival). It has big enough infrastructure to hold a conference, yet is small enough of a city to be navigatable. Also, there is a quite large geomatics community there. Last and most important, it has some terrific pubs and taverns!

I would aslo mention Quebec City as an honourable mention, but only for selfish reasons (I've always wanted to visit)! :)
W.P.
"Hic sunt leones"
www.neagis.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Canada

What about a location like Ottawa? It has a terrific dedicated public transportation system, the downtown core is very walkable with the parliament buildings very close to a plethora of accomodations. In the winter you can go to winterlude (festival). It has big enough infrastructure to hold a conference, yet is small enough of a city to be navigatable. Also, there is a quite large geomatics community there. Last and most important, it has some terrific pubs and taverns!

I would aslo mention Quebec City as an honourable mention, but only for selfish reasons (I've always wanted to visit)! :)

Since their last conference in Ottawa bombed so badly, I don't think NACIS would be too eager to try it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->