magictune

magictune

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Yugoslavia

Hello,

I would like to hear remarks and suggestions about the map I'm been working recently. It's a demographic map for a part of my country, but although the map theme is somewhat local, I'd like to receive comments on map style - label density, font and symbols, legend appearance, area colors and stuff like that - ie. general impression. Since I'm to make couple more maps on the subject, I'd like to work on defining a map style at this moment. I forgot to mention, I'm kind of newbie at this (thematic maps)...

Here is the link:
Serbs in central Kosovo and Metohija

Some less important map examples on my Blog (it's in Serbian, the text won't mean a lot to you):

serbiamap.blogspot.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hello,

I would like to hear remarks and suggestions about the map I'm been working recently. It's a demographic map for a part of my country, but although the map theme is somewhat local, I'd like to receive comments on map style - label density, font and symbols, legend appearance, area colors and stuff like that - ie. general impression. Since I'm to make couple more maps on the subject, I'd like to work on defining a map style at this moment. I forgot to mention, I'm kind of newbie at this (thematic maps)...

Here is the link:
Serbs in central Kosovo and Metohija

Some less important map examples on my Blog (it's in Serbian, the text won't mean a lot to you):

serbiamap.blogspot.com

A couple of things . . . I find the two thematic colours/shading you're using to be quite similar - it might just be the resolution of the image. I also think that if the focus is on Kosovo I would make the boundaries of Kosovo stand out a bit more.

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

If I understand correctly, the main goal of your map is to show where Serbs live in Kosovo. So I would choose colours that are just a little stronger (more saturated) for this theme. On the other hand, I think your roads stand out a bit too much, I would tone them down by choosing narrower symbols and avoiding road symbols with fills wherever possible. The roads should serve as orientation only, not distract from the main theme of the map.

I hope what you show us is only a part of the final map, because otherwise you should absolutely make sure no labels are cut off at the edge.

Finally, I like that you didn't draw the serb population areas with borderlines, since the edges are most likely fading, not sharp. In accordance with this, I think that you don't need the grey outlines of the patches in the legend, especially if you choose a little stronger colours.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,

Kathi

magictune

magictune

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Yugoslavia

Wow, thank you all ! Those were exactly the notes I've been asking for !

So, to make a summary, keep background map elements as discrete as possible, hide the boundary labels ... as for colors, you seem to be right - I've checked the appearance at my friends and I was not satisfied myself, apparently my monitor settings for illumination are somewhat specific - a rookie error, I guess ... I'll try somewhat stronger colors.

As for this legend issue, I wasn't aware of this standard - so if I am to use borderless areas on map, I should not use framed color rectangles in the legend, right ? To generalize, legends items must correlate to map areas both by color and border color? Is this a mandatory standard for web cartography or thumb of rule ?

Once again, many thanks.

And, yes, I forgot to write in my first post, this was not a map of whole province, just it's eastern part - I completely forgot that the legend is not in English ...

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Besides the standard scale bar, north arrow, etc. I'm wondering if you should show topography for the area as I think it plays an important part how the region has been settled into what it is today. Local and regional topography has played an important role in the distribution of people and cultures. You could give it a try and see if adds to your story.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

Besides the standard scale bar, north arrow, etc. I'm wondering if you should show topography for the area as I think it plays an important part how the region has been settled into what it is today. Local and regional topography has played an important role in the distribution of people and cultures. You could give it a try and see if adds to your story.

I though about that too, but wasn't sure if a relief shading would help show settlement patterns or distract the reader. Give it a try!

As to legend standards: I have never received formal training in Cartography, so I'm not aware of any formal standards. But common sense tells me that legend items should correspond to map symbols as closely as possible. (For this reason I hated ArcView 9.1, where a legend item was always full colour even when you applied a transparency to the layer, resutling in a bold red legend corresponding to a pale pink area on the map: absolutely unreadable! Thank God this issue has been dealt with in the meantime.)
In your case you have colours that are strong enough for a patch to be clearly visible without a border, so leave it off. If one of your colours was very pale, you wouldn't be able to see its patch in the legend, so that one would need a border, and then maybe it would look better if all the patches had a border.
Cheers,

Kathi

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

(For this reason I hated ArcView 9.1, where a legend item was always full colour even when you applied a transparency to the layer, resutling in a bold red legend corresponding to a pale pink area on the map: absolutely unreadable! Thank God this issue has been dealt with in the meantime.)

You're welcome. ;)

I keep hoping one of these days we'll get true transparency for graphics. Everything I hear from our developers is it's going to take a major rewrite so it's not likely to happen in a minor release.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->