NeverEasy

NeverEasy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Finland

Hello!

I've just started learning about modelbuilder in ArcGIS and I think it could really be usefull in what I am doing, the problem is I can't quite figure out what tools to use.

I have 100+ excel tables with point data (i.e. coordinates) in them which I need to convert to shape files. I've tried using the "Make XY Event Layer" tool in modelbuilder, the problem is I can't find the created layers anywhere, even though the program is certain they exist (since I can't save them again using the same name). When I use Make XY... without modelbuilder, the layer is visible in the data fram, as it should be.

Thanks!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I have never really understood this, but some tools create "in-memory" layers, that are not necessarily saved to disk. I think there is a step (not sure what tool to use) to save the layer as a feature class.

ModelBuilder is kind of cool, but I have found it much more productive to use Python in the end.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

NeverEasy

NeverEasy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Finland

Well I don't know anything about Pythons, so I can't comment on that :)

Ninomax

Ninomax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Vietnam

Hello!

I've just started learning about modelbuilder in ArcGIS and I think it could really be usefull in what I am doing, the problem is I can't quite figure out what tools to use.

I have 100+ excel tables with point data (i.e. coordinates) in them which I need to convert to shape files. I've tried using the "Make XY Event Layer" tool in modelbuilder, the problem is I can't find the created layers anywhere, even though the program is certain they exist (since I can't save them again using the same name). When I use Make XY... without modelbuilder, the layer is visible in the data fram, as it should be.

Thanks!

Hi NE
See my attached image. Hope that helps.

Attached Files

NeverEasy

NeverEasy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Finland

That did the trick, thanks!