• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

wilson

wilson

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

Hi all, does anyone here have any experience at all with OCAD? Just wodering how it functions as an alternative to Adobe Illustrator. I use Global Mapper to set up my data how i want it and would like my maps to have a more professional appearance.

If there are major differences in capabilities, or ease of use, i'd love to hear about it.

CGIS

CGIS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

Hi all, does anyone here have any experience at all with OCAD? Just wodering how it functions as an alternative to Adobe Illustrator. I use Global Mapper to set up my data how i want it and would like my maps to have a more professional appearance.

If there are major differences in capabilities, or ease of use, i'd love to hear about it.

This guy is using OCAD: http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=4999

The OP that is - maybe send him a message

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Hi!
Yes I'm using an OCAD. It's a really interesting and useful cartography software. The difference between OCAD and AI? Well first I would like to point out that it is difficult to compare an OCAD to AI without Mapublisher plug-in due to AI lacks spatial data support,... So comparing OCAD and Mapublisher then...
PROS:
1. Very good for large maps. It is fast in spatial data importing and symbolization. I heard that whole Sloviena (well it is not a huge country but still) at scale 1:50000 is in one file (a lot of nasty house symbols and names)
2. Very capable in color and symbol definition. It's supports a spot color, RGB and CMYK color spaces. Line symbolization is one of the best. Point symbols can be imported from AI files. No need for masking due to color hierarchy table usage.
3. More options in export: OCAD, PDF, AI, EPS, DXF, SHP (with attributes), TIFF, web,.... in spot, CMYK and RGB colorspaces
4. Scripting support. Import and export can be scripted. Very very useful in automated cartography.
5. Line symbolization tools: gap, corner point, dash point,...
6. DEM import and support: hillshading, contours, hypsometric hillshading, profiles
7. Developers of sofware are very open for suggestions
8. Cleaner more cartrography oriented user interface (no floating windows)
CONS:
1. Point symbol editor is not very capable but it is get better in every version
2. It takes some time to master color space and its management
3. Raster support and management is worse compared to Mapublisher but it is far easier to directly import georeferenced rater data.
4. No fancy effects like drop shadow or gradient fill and no transparency mode selection. It does support a transparency in color definition.
5. No support for different projections in the same map.
6. No label engine like LabelPro
7. No additional cartography tools like create legend (it will be in version 11) and scale. Oh well there is a street index tool.
SO SO:
1. OCAD is very strict regarding cartographic symbology. If cartographer wants to differ a symbolizaton of just one feature in OCAD then he should create another symbol and append a feature to it. It can be painful especially in labeling but that can be also very positive if you want to attain strict symbology.
2. Snaping is not perfect yet and line dataset edited and exported from OCAD doesn't meet the network topology criteria. Well that will change in version 11.

I'm using OCAD as my cartography tool that meets all my needs in cartography symbolization and feature editing. If I want to achieve some additional eyecandy effects then there is always an AI or sometimes even better Inkscape and a final map composition can be done in InDesign.

wilson

wilson

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for the reply!

Do you get by with the standard version, or do you use the professional version? If its the standard one, how limiting do you find it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->