New member and all around new to map making

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Larry Farr

Larry Farr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

Hello all: Larry Farr here from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I've always been interested in maps and am very keen on learning how they're made. Your site looks amazing and I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction on how to get started in this field. Thanks very much.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome! There are plenty of tips and discussions on map making on this forum.

Are you looking at getting started in a professional career in cartography? (or GIS)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Where you are living in Ontario start at Sir Fleming College.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Hi Larry,
These days most maps are made in a GIS application like ArcMap or in graphics application like Adobe Illustrator. Like Frax said, dig around the forum and you'll find all kinds of information on both approaches as well as alternatives. Of course you can get started right away with just a pencil and paper.

Erin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->