- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

carquisa

carquisa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Spain

I would like to have symbols like circles or squares with size representing the total amount of population and color representing the percentage, then I can have two variables in one symbol.

How can I do it with ArcMap? I tried with many options but I cannot get there, I'm just able to have the whole area with color and size in circles but it doesn't give the point on the map because large areas with low population have too much color in them.

Thank you for your answers!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

If all the data you want to show is in a single attribute table, on the Symbology Tab on the Layer Properties window you can select Multiple Attributes from the left pane and work with more than one variable. It's not exactly intuitive, but you can poke around their Online Help to figure out how to change both the Color and Symbol Size.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Here is how I symbolize multiple attributes using the "Multiple Attributes" option under the symbology tab.

1) Select your first field/column under the "Value fields" (oranges, apples, pears, et cetera). Add all of the values and symbolize by color.
2) Click on the "Symbol Size" button under the Color Ramp. Select your second column and symbolize the values by size (number of oranges, apples, pears, et cetera). Set your class ranges and don't bother changing the color of the points - because your symbolizing by color in step # 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->