4 replies to this topic

jbl

jbl

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

I am attempting to compare some of my data with my (US) county's plat data. They use state plane projection so I set up ArcGis using NAD_1983_StatePlane_Kansas_North_FIPS_1501 coordinate system.

I cannot determine what measurement unit they are using. The browser window for a sample plat uses coordinates
Left=2263979
Right=2266007
Top=266158
Bottom=264527

What do these numerical coordinates represent ??

I thought it might be meters but I selected a point within this area in ArcGis and ArcGis is displaying 691275.282 , 81462.376 in the status bar as meters.

Thanks

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Those are state plane coordinate values for x,y.

You could convert them to lat/long which is a coordinate system most of us are familiar with.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

Those coordinates look like feet to me. Try NAD27.

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

If you convert the values that ArcGis is giving you (as described in your post) to feet, you get values that fall within the coordinates you list from the sample plat. So they are feet. Use NAD27.

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • United States

I am attempting to compare some of my data with my (US) county's plat data. They use state plane projection so I set up ArcGis using NAD_1983_StatePlane_Kansas_North_FIPS_1501 coordinate system.

I cannot determine what measurement unit they are using. The browser window for a sample plat uses coordinates
Left=2263979
Right=2266007
Top=266158
Bottom=264527

What do these numerical coordinates represent ??

I thought it might be meters but I selected a point within this area in ArcGis and ArcGis is displaying 691275.282 , 81462.376 in the status bar as meters.

Thanks

If the data is in the Kansas City area, it is NAD83 State Plane Kansas North, using US survey feet. If the plat data is using the NAD27 zone, the plat in the middle of the state.

Usually the false easting/northing values (and sometimes other parameter valuse) changed for NAD83 from the NAD27 definitions. That was to make it easier to differentiate what was being used.

Melita

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->