Nick S.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I guess as the founder of CartoTalk I should introduce myself.

I have a degree in Geography from Syracuse University where I focused on Cartographic design under Mark Monmonier. I got my start with digital cartography using Freehand version 2 in the SU cartography lab in 1990. We like to think we were some of the early pioneers of digital cartography.

After graduating in 1992 I moved to Seattle, and finding no cartography jobs, persued a graphic design career. The next 5 years were a a great experience for me as I advanced my design skills greatly.

In 1997 by extreme coincidence I found out that Microsoft was looking for a map designer. I got the job and spent the next almost 4 years designing the maps for Encarta World Atlas, Streets & Trips, and MapPoint.

In 2000 I moved back east and again followed the graphic design path, but began to be more serious about map freelance work at the same time. My latest job move in 2004 brought me to a perfect blending of all my skills. I am now Design Director for a software firm that produces GPS software - allowing me to design maps, software user interfaces, and create web applications.

Enough about me...

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->