• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:world politics, world peace, world map cartography, B.J.S. Cahill, Buckminster Fuller, Robert Heinlein, Esperanto
  • Canada

I'd like to enter this forum, with links to two illustrated critiques I have written, and expecting feedback:

One is a review of an octahedral map projection (1996 and 2010) by Steve Waterman, resembling the 1909 Butterfly World Map of B.J.S. Cahill.

The other is a very detailed 17-part commentary on Buckminster Fuller's layout: Evolution of the Dymaxion Map: An Illustrated Tour and Critique.

I am a retired world politics prof and proponent of the world map designs of B.J.S. Cahill (1866-1944).

They are an octahedral transformation predating Fuller's icosahedral, and much superior to Bucky's, in my opinion, as spelled out above.

I have also been developing my own modification of the Cahill design, but that has been a long slow project.

Cahill, 1909:
Posted Image

Cahill-Keyes, 1975:
Posted Image

The Waterman review above uses close-ups of his design and mine, to compare and contrast our different approaches.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Interesting! I didn't read it all though, but I would love to experiment with the Cahill-Keyes projection in my GIS software...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

CGIS

CGIS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

Hello Gene,

Your post is very interesting - I will admit I haven't all the material you've posted but, if you wouldn't mind summarizing the use of these interrupted projections. I understand they are conformal, and preserve area well, but I wonder about the function of the maps, how they are used in society.

For the last 6 months, I have been experimenting (in a much less academic way) with the integration of "myriahedral" projections using octahedral and icosahedron sphere topologies into my map production workflow. So far so good, but I struggle to get my head around the real-world demand for the maps (coming from a GIS/Business perspective). Also, the notion of creating demand by evangelism isn't out of the question. Perhaps my interest should focus on honest contributions to cartography instead.

I do intend to read your posts in full when time allows. Once I do, I'll make a more detailed comment on your design!

Best Regards,

Andrew Schroeder

CGIS

CGIS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of comments in this thread.

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:world politics, world peace, world map cartography, B.J.S. Cahill, Buckminster Fuller, Robert Heinlein, Esperanto
  • Canada

To you and to Hugo Ahlenius:

Thank you for your comments. This is just to let you know that I have started a new topic in CartoTalk, " GIS and programming collaboration invited for Cahill-Keyes world map", citing the current progress -- up to a point! -- in developing a computerized graticule, and a small start at coastline transformation: mainly due to the efforts of my companion Mary Jo Graça.

I would have responded sooner, but I was awaiting progress on the coastline data, and that was long slow slog. Hope to hear from both of you again.

Best regards,
Gene Keyes

Hello Gene,

Your post is very interesting - I will admit I haven't all the material you've posted but, if you wouldn't mind summarizing the use of these interrupted projections. I understand they are conformal, and preserve area well, but I wonder about the function of the maps, how they are used in society.

For the last 6 months, I have been experimenting (in a much less academic way) with the integration of "myriahedral" projections using octahedral and icosahedron sphere topologies into my map production workflow. So far so good, but I struggle to get my head around the real-world demand for the maps (coming from a GIS/Business perspective). Also, the notion of creating demand by evangelism isn't out of the question. Perhaps my interest should focus on honest contributions to cartography instead.

I do intend to read your posts in full when time allows. Once I do, I'll make a more detailed comment on your design!

Best Regards,

Andrew Schroeder

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada

Thank you for your comment; see my reply at "CGIS".

Interesting! I didn't read it all though, but I would love to experiment with the Cahill-Keyes projection in my GIS software...

jon hartman

jon hartman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • China

Hey, thanks for the useful comments and reviews! Right now Waterman's 2012 update is my favorite projection and I'm looking forward to buying some prints when I'm in a more stable residence. But I especially appreciate the scans of Cahill's hand-colored fragments. I've been looking for a good reproduction of Cahill's map and with those I just might be able to print one myself, which is very exciting. Despite my love of the butterfly I'm begining to wonder if I'd like you're M-shaped concept for the octant projection over the butterfly. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.

Thanks again for the great contribution!

jon

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada

Hey, thanks for the useful comments and reviews! Right now Waterman's 2012 update is my favorite projection and I'm looking forward to buying some prints when I'm in a more stable residence. But I especially appreciate the scans of Cahill's hand-colored fragments. I've been looking for a good reproduction of Cahill's map and with those I just might be able to print one myself, which is very exciting. Despite my love of the butterfly I'm begining to wonder if I'd like you're M-shaped concept for the octant projection over the butterfly. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.

Thanks again for the great contribution!

jon

And thanks for your comment. Right now a collaborator in Australia is preparing a full-color and labeled political Cahill-Keyes wall map ("M"), and my companion Mary Jo Graça is programming a digital version that will unite the Antarctica segments and join them to the main map. --Gene Keyes

PS: If you haven't already seen it, check the Megamap posting here in CartoTalk. http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=7360

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->