• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

brynnh08

brynnh08

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi Everyone!

I was looking for some help. I am doing a presentation on 19th century cartography and I need some serious help. I went to my library but we have nothing on it! I am wondering what changes happened, and what advancements occurred in map making in the 19th century. The only thing I have actually found was lithography and ariel photography.
Does anyone know of good websites to look at?
If someone could please help that would be wonderful! Thank you... :)

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Woodward, David. The All-American Map

Wilford, John Nobe. The Mapmakers: The Story of the Great Pioneers in Cartography from Antiquity to the Space Age

Buisseret, David, ed. From Sea Charts to Satellite Images: Interpreting North American History through Maps

History of Cartography Project
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Woodward, David. The All-American Map

Wilford, John Nobe. The Mapmakers: The Story of the Great Pioneers in Cartography from Antiquity to the Space Age

Buisseret, David, ed. From Sea Charts to Satellite Images: Interpreting North American History through Maps

History of Cartography Project

19th century cartography is pretty broad. I personally would be inclined to focus on 19th cartography of the American West. You could check out a a couple of volumes of Carl Wheat's "Mapping the Transmississippi West, 1540-1861" and have a wealth of material to present in what I think is a profound era of cartography.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I find the story of the mapping of India by the colonialists during that time period interesting. Everest was in charge of it for a while, but I'm not sure about dates. I suppose the major theme in the 19th century would be improved accuracy and coverage? I think the French had some projects about measuring the size of the length of an arc to determine the size and shape of the earth. The ordnance survey in England was also going on during that time.

Cheers,
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->