Photo

Geostatistical analysis?!? Polygon in polygon analysis!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Covasnianu Adrian

Covasnianu Adrian

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Romania

Hi!

I have a polygon including the territorial boundary of a state which is divided in multiple polygons.
These multiple polygons are spatial different. Some of them are overlapping, some are identical, some are extension of the first ones, etc.

The total polygon (country level) is divided into different polygons (different SHP - county level of any other territorial division) which one overlaps with others (but not always).

These different polygons representing territorial division of some institutions and have a center city (in this case, a point feature).

I'm trying to analyze what is the common area (how many times are overlapping), in percents of some polygons in order to see how many times are overlapping or are different.

My analysis focuses on the influence of the center (point feature) on the national scale which subordinates regions.

I'm trying to analyse using GIS technique (ESRI ArcMap or open-source solution) the possible influence of a city (and it's regional influence) on the national scale.

I'll try to analyze zonal statistics from ArcView as a start.

Any suggestion is useful!

The final representation should be like a cartogram (contain the city centers and their territorial influence - polygons - using graduated colors).

Thanks!
GIS user

PhD geographer
CUGUAT-TIGRIS Research Center
University Al.I.Cuza Ia┼či
Faculty of Geography & Geology

email: covasnianu.adrian@gmail.com

hamad

hamad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Pakistan

hi,

have you tried any spatial DBMS like postgis. it might not give you spicificly what you want but it has functions like getting overlapped area of two polygons. you can build your own logic over it.

thansk,
hamad

Hi!

I have a polygon including the territorial boundary of a state which is divided in multiple polygons.
These multiple polygons are spatial different. Some of them are overlapping, some are identical, some are extension of the first ones, etc.

The total polygon (country level) is divided into different polygons (different SHP - county level of any other territorial division) which one overlaps with others (but not always).

These different polygons representing territorial division of some institutions and have a center city (in this case, a point feature).

I'm trying to analyze what is the common area (how many times are overlapping), in percents of some polygons in order to see how many times are overlapping or are different.

My analysis focuses on the influence of the center (point feature) on the national scale which subordinates regions.

I'm trying to analyse using GIS technique (ESRI ArcMap or open-source solution) the possible influence of a city (and it's regional influence) on the national scale.

I'll try to analyze zonal statistics from ArcView as a start.

Any suggestion is useful!

The final representation should be like a cartogram (contain the city centers and their territorial influence - polygons - using graduated colors).

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->