• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

llarson3

llarson3

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello all! I just started a new position mapping hog farms for a pork producer. The farms are located in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Colorado. My question is what would be the best projection to use when creating maps for the whole area as well as for the farms. I have done some thinking and thought that the large scale maps of the farms should be state plane or something like that. As far as creating maps for the entire area, I'm just not sure. Thanks for your help.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello all! I just started a new position mapping hog farms for a pork producer. The farms are located in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Colorado. My question is what would be the best projection to use when creating maps for the whole area as well as for the farms. I have done some thinking and thought that the large scale maps of the farms should be state plane or something like that. As far as creating maps for the entire area, I'm just not sure. Thanks for your help.

Lambert Conformal Conic or Albers Equal Area are often used for US maps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Canada

Lambert Conformal Conic or Albers Equal Area are often used for US maps.

For USA maps, I like to use Albers, standard parallels 29.5 and 45.5. This projection is used commonly by the US government and others, so it makes it easy to match with existing sources. Set the central meridian to whatever is in your subject area.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->