Bryan Krouse

Bryan Krouse

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi all,
I have a basic question. I created the attached map in IllustratorCS2 with a document size (artboard) of 4.5" X3". However, when I export the map and open it in say Windows and Picture Viewer, it shows as a very large image. How do I view this image in its true 4.5" X 3" size.

Also, any comments on improving the map is welcome.
Thanks,
Bryan

Attached Files

Edited by bkdesigns, 19 September 2010 - 01:26 PM.

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

I'm not sure what format MS Picture viewer opens, and I wouldn't really trust that program anyway for giving you the "true" size of the image. Assuming you're exporting a raster image file (jpg, png, bmp, tiff) from illustrator, the first thing I would do is make sure you're exporting it at an appropriate resolution. 300 ppi for print or 72 ppi for screen/web. If you're viewing a vector version in MS Picture viewer (pdf, ai, eps), then I would expect Picture Viewer is just scaling up the image to fit the screen without regard for the "actual" size. Actually, I'm fairly sure Picture Viewer is probably hard-coded to just make its display as big as possible for the window or screen, regardless of the image format.

Two quick comments on the map. I would probably include an exit number from the freeway and move the "X" from the middle of the street to the appropriate side for the address.

As an aside, I'd hate to have a business at the intersection of "West 500 South" and "South 500 West". What a mouthfull! Actually, the whole area seems like a Fire/EMS nightmare.

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

Bryan Krouse

Bryan Krouse

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • No Country Selected

I'm not sure what format MS Picture viewer opens, and I wouldn't really trust that program anyway for giving you the "true" size of the image. Assuming you're exporting a raster image file (jpg, png, bmp, tiff) from illustrator, the first thing I would do is make sure you're exporting it at an appropriate resolution. 300 ppi for print or 72 ppi for screen/web. If you're viewing a vector version in MS Picture viewer (pdf, ai, eps), then I would expect Picture Viewer is just scaling up the image to fit the screen without regard for the "actual" size. Actually, I'm fairly sure Picture Viewer is probably hard-coded to just make its display as big as possible for the window or screen, regardless of the image format.

Two quick comments on the map. I would probably include an exit number from the freeway and move the "X" from the middle of the street to the appropriate side for the address.

As an aside, I'd hate to have a business at the intersection of "West 500 South" and "South 500 West". What a mouthfull! Actually, the whole area seems like a Fire/EMS nightmare.

Adam,
I think you are spot on that Picture viewer scales up the image. In that case, what would you recommend viewing the images/maps in outside of the graphics program?

Yes, moving the "x" to the correct roadside is a great idea, thanks.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Print it. I never trust dimensions for onscreen display.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Hi all,
I have a basic question. I created the attached map in IllustratorCS2 with a document size (artboard) of 4.5" X3". However, when I export the map and open it in say Windows and Picture Viewer, it shows as a very large image. How do I view this image in its true 4.5" X 3" size.

Also, any comments on improving the map is welcome.
Thanks,
Bryan

I agree with Frax. Print it. :) Also what do you mean by "true 4.5" x 3" size"? Do you mean the image size on the computer screen? When you export your map as an image, what the resolution size you specified? If your map is going to be in the digital format (like picture images), you might want to use the "pixel" in stead of "inches". Every monitor has a different resolution. For example, an image with the size 4.5 inches x 3 inches on your computer screen may not be shown in the same dimension in the other monitor; it could be larger or smaller than the one shown on your computer monitor...

k :)

Bryan Krouse

Bryan Krouse

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks all. I think the problem is in Windows Picture Viewer which enlarges the picture to full screen size and does not retain the 4.5 " X 3" dimensions. While the map was created in Illustrator with an artboard size of 4.5 X 3, I was hoping to simple export the map as a png, for example, and see the map in this size to check for clarity of text etc.. As you can see when opening the attached map, it is enlarged, which does not help to "see" what it will view like in the 4.5 X 3.

Bryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->