13 replies to this topic

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I have recently been having an issue with Illustrator (CS5) where a piece of text just will not select. Everything is unlocked, and when I do a Select All, it selects, but I just can't click on it. It's driving me insane!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Is it part of a group of objects within a clipping mask? Can you select it with the Direct Select tool?

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I've found the text is actually located in a different spot... it's some sort of display glitch. I can select the text if i click on the invisible spot where Illustrator thinks the text is!

(you'll see in the attachment... the text is underlined, but the selection box is way below and to the left of the text.)

Posted Image
Greg Moore

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I think I've had this problem before. I haven't found a solution to it other than to delete the text and re-create it. I think it is a corrupt file.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I think I've had this problem before. I haven't found a solution to it other than to delete the text and re-create it. I think it is a corrupt file.

I just had this problem for the first time this week and I have cs3...
Suddenly a text just wont select
I do a restart and it seems to be OK
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I've tried restart. I think the file is somehow corrupt.. but just certain text boxes. It's very strange. I'd love someone from Adobe to take a look at this, there's got to be an easier way to resolve this issue. Until then, I am hacking at it the slow way.
Greg Moore

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Out of the blue suggestion.

Have you tried the clean path command... OBJECT-PATH-CLEANUP (all options checked).
Chart

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Have you tried right-clicking on the text > Transform > Reset Bounding Box ?

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Have you tried right-clicking on the text > Transform > Reset Bounding Box ?

I would have to be able to select the text in order to right click on it ;)

I have found a work around, if I copy the entire text layer over to a new document and Command F to place in same spot.. I can select the text I need to select, and then bring it back into the document once it is all cleaned up. It's sort of a sloppy solution, but I'm really not sure what else I can do at this point!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Greg Moore

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

We used to run into this problem every so often. But when publishing street atlases with hundreds of pages and tens of thousands of street names, it became impossible to check every road name to see if the text had shifted. We developed a little routine that would activate each first Path Point for all text on the map, which would cause the offset text to move back to its proper position. I can probably find the routine if you'd like.

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

We used to run into this problem every so often. But when publishing street atlases with hundreds of pages and tens of thousands of street names, it became impossible to check every road name to see if the text had shifted. We developed a little routine that would activate each first Path Point for all text on the map, which would cause the offset text to move back to its proper position. I can probably find the routine if you'd like.

If it is not too much trouble, I'd love to try that! Although, I'm sure that operation would effect much of the other text on the map... It probably is not going to be a viable solution at this point in the game.
Greg Moore

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

If it is not too much trouble, I'd love to try that! Although, I'm sure that operation would effect much of the other text on the map... It probably is not going to be a viable solution at this point in the game.

No, it doesn't effect any of the text on the map, except to make the offset text "jump" back to its original position. (and then selectable) I'll go look for that routine now.

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

I sent it to your e-mail address.

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

you can also try going into View>Outline, (ctrl-y mac: cmd-y) and see if it shows what it thinks is the true position of the text, rather than clicking blindly around until you find it!

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->