• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I thought I would post what is officially my first Mapformation 3D campus map.

Someone recently mentioned that they like to read about the techniques involved.

This is an illustration that is all done in Photoshop. It starts from loose hand-rendered sketches on a graphic tablet using aerial photos and Google Earth as reference.

The ‘finishing’ illustration techniques are much like the ones described in a recent post by Mike Karpovage also with Mapformation.

One distinctive technique I use however is that I draw all the buildings first and render the road system to flow around them which reverses the way maps are usually made.

This allows me to make the buildings bigger and open up areas that are not very visible from such a perspective. The foliage, terrain and horizon goes in last so that they enhance the campus without (hopefully) competing too much with it. The color palette in the trees and terrain-( Photoshop Hue & Saturation) is made to reflect the arid landscape of this part of British Columbia.

The horizon background is more elaborate than usual because the University wanted to emphasise the rivers that provide their namesake.
Attached File  TRU_sample.jpg   748.31KB   470 downloads
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

So, SO nice! Probably my favorite campus map of yours to-date. B)
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Sv_BG

Sv_BG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Bulgaria

Amazing! Great map, thanks for sharing :)

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

Very nice!!!

The only detail that jumped to my eye in a slightly less pleasant way than all the rest is the green of Upper Grass Fields in the left. It seems there's too much blue in this shade of green, makes it look artificial compared to all the other vegetation which has a very naturalistic colour scheme.

Overall, it's a fantastic piece of work!
Cheers,

Kathi

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

As usual, I am impressed at your work Jean-Louis. It is always a pleasure to see your posts.

Just one question. Is there a reason why the bus and wheelchair symbols are not constant in size.
Chart

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

Excellent! I think you've captured the look of the drier terrain, the rivers, and mountains very well.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

canvas101

canvas101

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

Hello Jean-Louis,

Excellent work. Can you elaborate on the time it took to complete this project (initial client meeting to final presentation)? Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Wow Jean-Louis... This is some incredible work! I have been away from the site for a while, and possibly missed out on your progress, but this illustration blows my mind. Amazingly clean... Gorgeous color. Wow.
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Thank you all for the kind words.
Kathi. You have a sharp eye. Yes I wanted to change that overly green soccer field as i had with the other one but did not get around to it.
Chart: I do break a lot of rules including making icons fit in as if they were illustrations. Some like the varying bus icons in the front were accidental, I simply forgot about them. Thanks for reminding me.
Canvas 101. You would have to ask Derek of Mapformation as it was he that dealt with the initial stages of client presentation. The artwork itself took me about a month.
Dave. I'ts true, it is a dry-looking terrain. I never made the connection! this map is what's been driving me to drink! :blink:
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

canvas101

canvas101

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

Hello Jean-Louis,

Thanks for the reply. One minor note about the fonts used in the "LOTS". It appears the LOT "W, N, K" fonts are darker or bolder than the others. I have had this happen when ripping files for press and just noticed this after reviewing Kathi's reply.

Regards

bpauls

bpauls

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

Beautiful map! Made even more beautiful by the fact that I went to university at this campus ! I developed my love for cartography in the Arts & Education Building that you so nicely represent!

Brendan Pauls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->