• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ericmark

ericmark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Hi guys and gals,

I have been reading through these forums for a while now and have appreciated all of the help I have found through other users questions being answered :) I am a social studies student and have taken an intro to gis course in order to complete a project I started a long time ago and now I am almost complete but am completely clueless on how to finish things up.

I have an excel file with two columns, each contains the name of a street and I want to find the distance between the streets in the columns next to each other. I don't have any information for the streets except the name of the street. In Arcgis I have a layer that contains a map of the city I am interested in. What would be the easiest way to find the distance between the streets? One guy told me I would have to geocode all of the streets in my excel file but another guy told me there should be a way to determine the distance simply based on the names on the streets because the names also appear in the source of the map in Arcgis. I am super confused and would appreciate any help.

Thanks for your time!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have an excel file with two columns, each contains the name of a street and I want to find the distance between the streets in the columns next to each other. I don't have any information for the streets except the name of the street. In Arcgis I have a layer that contains a map of the city I am interested in. What would be the easiest way to find the distance between the streets? One guy told me I would have to geocode all of the streets in my excel file but another guy told me there should be a way to determine the distance simply based on the names on the streets because the names also appear in the source of the map in Arcgis. I am super confused and would appreciate any help.

Both are correct, to a point. You could geocode the streets, but since you only have streets it won't be more accurate than just linking the Excel file to the streets layer.

One thing to keep in mind is that the best you'll get is the shortest distance from street A to street B. This may not yield usable results (imagine Yonge Street in Toronto, the longest street in the world...), address to address would be better.

This would be a network analasys thing, there's a ESRI tool for that (see another thread here)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ericmark

ericmark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the clarification! I am only interested in the shortest distance between the streets. I need to find the shortest cartesian distance and shortest travel distance. Would both of those be possible without using network analysis?
If I just link the street names in the excel file to the map I have would that be a spatial join? Or would I relate the files? Is this something I need to find a tutorial on or is it a couple simple clicks? I have googled it to death and haven't found a tutorial, is that because perphaps I'm not using the proper jargon?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just feel a bit like a cat in water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->