• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

LukeEdAllen

LukeEdAllen

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi everyone, I have just registered here.

I'm just posting because for my studies I am doing some basic distance analysis such as point-in-polyon and buffering analysis - however I would like to try and go one step further and incorporate some network analysis into my coursework - the problem is we have not been taught this extension.

I just wanted to ask, is it pretty easy to teach yourself this extension or does one need to have strong GIS background (it looks quite complex but I have yet to explore it)

Also, would anyone know of any good tutorials such as podcasts/videos online to help explain how to use it to a intermediate GIS user?

What is you're own experience with ArcGIS network analyst, good/bad?

Thanks alot for any help :)

Luke

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

What kind of GIS course are you taking? This is a very good question because you do not want to get ahead of yourself & move into territory that may cause trouble for you in your current studies. Because normally Network Analyst is something to learn if your taking advanced studies, not cartographic nor early GIS studies.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

LukeEdAllen

LukeEdAllen

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

What kind of GIS course are you taking? This is a very good question because you do not want to get ahead of yourself & move into territory that may cause trouble for you in your current studies. Because normally Network Analyst is something to learn if your taking advanced studies, not cartographic nor early GIS studies.

Thanks for the reponse :)

It's for a post-grad course, so I dont think it would course trouble to my studies and regardless I would like to learn the extension because it looks so interesting, even if it doesnt come up in my taught syllabus :)

LukeEdAllen

LukeEdAllen

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks for the reponse :)

It's for a post-grad course, so I dont think it would course trouble to my studies and regardless I would like to learn the extension because it looks so interesting, even if it doesnt come up in my taught syllabus :)

Anyone shed some light? :(

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I have used Network Analyst every now and again, but not often enough to always remember everything.

I will sometimes refresh myself with a PDF tutorial ESRI wrote for 9.2. If you are using 9.x it should help you find the right path. B)

This link I am providing is a PDF download from ESRI that's a few MB so you might be waiting a little bit.

Good luck! I wish it were a bit more stable. I have sometimes retrieved different results for the same network problem after my Network Dataset has been dormant for a bit. Data decay?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->